Compiler Choice?

Started by
1 comment, last by beun 15 years, 8 months ago
Hey all, Up until now i have been using Borland Compiler and have got pretty familiar with what its able to do. But i want to start programming more solid games with 2D and 3D aspects. Is this possible using Borland and i would really love to use Microsoft visual 2008, as i downloaded the free version, however the syntax seems quite different to that of borlands. Is visual 2008 the best to go with when game programming or is another compiler better? Or even borland? Thanks,
Advertisement
Nowhere in your post did you mention a language, like C++. This leads me to believe that you don't realize that C++ is a language standard--one which Borland C++ Builder, among others, supports--, and that Microsoft Visual Studio includes support for several languages, including but not limited to C++. Are you sure you were looking at Microsoft Visual C++, as opposed to C# or VB?
Quote:Nowhere in your post did you mention a language, like C++. This leads me to believe that you don't realize that C++ is a language standard--one which Borland C++ Builder, among others, supports--, and that Microsoft Visual Studio includes support for several languages, including but not limited to C++. Are you sure you were looking at Microsoft Visual C++, as opposed to C# or VB?

Well, the standard MSVC templates are a little weird (_tmain etc.). Just use normal, standard, common C++, and it will compile on any compiler. There are a few non-standard things that may differ from one compiler to another (like inline asm: __asm__ cpuid vs. asm("cpuid")), but the standard stays the same (on recent compilers that is).

Some compilers may give faster/slower/bigger/smaller executables, but that's a small difference, and may differ from one file to another. I use G++, because I need to cross-compile and G++ is in my opinion the best way to do it. I'd recommend MSVC or G++. They both have a very large community.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement