Sign in to follow this  
Cherub of Death

What to do....

Here is my background. I first started off learning c++ and did some simple tutorials. I then read Beginning C++ through Game programming by Micheal Dawson. I thought I caught onto it pretty well even though I have no previous programming experience. I then read more on the forums and figured hey I should probably set back and do a bit of python to be easy. I learnt some python and such. Now I am thinking of re-reading c++ to refresh my memory. So my question is what to do lol. I am going to start brushing up by looking up the basics of C++ on the web. Though I cant seem to find many tutorials on line to use those basics, only straight to gaming, this I know is not a good idea. Any help? Thanks.

jdub    459
You need to practice using exercises in the books that you have. Don't just read them. Also do trivial things just to experiment around then maybe a couple small things like a function to find prime numbers or something like that.

metalmidget    205
I recommend the tutorial at cplusplus.com.
And yeah, jdub is right- actually do stuff, rather than just reading tutorials/books. The best way to learn the language is to get in there and start using it. That's also the ONLY way to learn the art (and it is an art-form) of debugging.

cheers,
metal

I know that I should do the exercises at the end of each chapter lol. Forgot to mention that. Though that book wasn't to challenging with it, and it didn't have answers if you needed them, well maybe on the cd lol.
I was going to use cplusplus.com to brush up so thank you for that, wasn't sure if that was a good site to.
Others have also told me that book is apparently partly just C and not all C++.

MarijnStevens    210
Why do I read so much topics about people asking what to do, what language to use, how to work. It's fine to ask towards a goal but most people who asking them are people who just want to program. Doesn't people enjoy programming anymore ?:D I dont care if it is C++, C# or Basic or whatever, I like the art part of it more

I chose to go with c++ lol. The fact is I need a goal lol. I would like to do programming for a job and possibly game programming. You can learn the basics but not know what to do with them, thats the problem. Finding a good book or tutorial is sometimes not an easy task lol.

Tom Sloper    16063
Quote:
Original post by Cherub of Death
I chose to go with c++ lol. The fact is I need a goal lol. I would like to do programming for a job and possibly game programming. You can learn the basics but not know what to do with them, thats the problem. Finding a good book or tutorial is sometimes not an easy task lol.

lol get a degree lol.
lol read the FAQs lol.
P.S. lol

So does anyone know of a good e-books that has good exercises and is in full c++, that also speaks simply. If not a free e-book should I just go check at all the books at the homepage here for reviews and such?

Hollower    685
Quote:
Original post by Cherub of Death
So does anyone know of a good e-books that has good exercises and is in full c++, that also speaks simply.

C++: A Dialog