Sign in to follow this  
AverageJoeSSU

Glew, Glext, and VBOs --SOLVED

Ok so.... my lighting model uses Glew and my friends terrain engine uses VBOs and glext.... i am merging our code and am having a bit of trouble merging... he is doing this.... //initialize VBO extensions g_fVBOSupported = IsExtensionSupported( "GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object" ); if( g_fVBOSupported ) { // Get Pointers To The GL Functions glGenBuffersARB = (PFNGLGENBUFFERSARBPROC) wglGetProcAddress("glGenBuffersARB"); glBindBufferARB = (PFNGLBINDBUFFERARBPROC) wglGetProcAddress("glBindBufferARB"); glBufferDataARB = (PFNGLBUFFERDATAARBPROC) wglGetProcAddress("glBufferDataARB"); glDeleteBuffersARB = (PFNGLDELETEBUFFERSARBPROC) wglGetProcAddress("glDeleteBuffersARB"); } and i am calling init glew right before like this...... if (glewInit() != GLEW_OK) { cout << "error initializing glew" << endl; } //initialize VBO extensions g_fVBOSupported = IsExtensionSupported( "GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object" ); if( g_fVBOSupported ) { // Get Pointers To The GL Functions glGenBuffersARB = (PFNGLGENBUFFERSARBPROC) wglGetProcAddress("glGenBuffersARB"); glBindBufferARB = (PFNGLBINDBUFFERARBPROC) wglGetProcAddress("glBindBufferARB"); glBufferDataARB = (PFNGLBUFFERDATAARBPROC) wglGetProcAddress("glBufferDataARB"); glDeleteBuffersARB = (PFNGLDELETEBUFFERSARBPROC) wglGetProcAddress("glDeleteBuffersARB"); } im getting these compiler warnings.... warning C4273: '__glewGenBuffersARB' : inconsistent dll linkage 1> c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\platformsdk\include\gl\glew.h(9506) : see previous definition of '__glewGenBuffersARB' etc.... i think i know what they mean... that glew already defines those functions... but i dont know what i need to do about it... any help? cheers! [Edited by - AverageJoeSSU on August 18, 2008 6:22:20 PM]

Quote:
Original post by AverageJoeSSU
i think i know what they mean... that glew already defines those functions... but i dont know what i need to do about it... any help? cheers!

Yes, glew defines them. You delete your own function pointer code.

//initialize VBO extensions
g_fVBOSupported = IsExtensionSupported( "GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object" );
if( g_fVBOSupported )
{
// Get Pointers To The GL Functions
glGenBuffersARB = (PFNGLGENBUFFERSARBPROC) wglGetProcAddress("glGenBuffersARB");
glBindBufferARB = (PFNGLBINDBUFFERARBPROC) wglGetProcAddress("glBindBufferARB");
glBufferDataARB = (PFNGLBUFFERDATAARBPROC) wglGetProcAddress("glBufferDataARB");
glDeleteBuffersARB = (PFNGLDELETEBUFFERSARBPROC) wglGetProcAddress("glDeleteBuffersARB");
}

I also recommend that you move over to using core functions like glGenBuffers, glBindBuffer, etc. and make sure GL version is 1.5

Thanks, Thats exactly what was wrong.....

Actually... when i moved to glew and used the glgenbuffersARB or whatev... it didnt work at all... just errored out.

But when i changed it to the regular glgenbuffers it worked like a charm...

I'll throw up some screenshots in a month of so of this engine... my team is merging our versions together as we just got CVS last week and have been working on the project for over 6 months now.