Best budget Game Engine???

Started by
8 comments, last by BLiTZWiNG 15 years, 8 months ago
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could point out their opinions on the best game engine to use for a fps/strat/rpg hybrid, there will be elements of each. My concern is that for a commercial use it should be cheap! Any ideas? [Edited by - carlito123 on February 13, 2009 2:15:31 PM]
Advertisement
Torque
I prefer the 3dgs (3d game studio), I think the tools that come with the engine are easier to use, and the developmental templates are great for a first time game designer (whats easier then click and go)...

Before licensing an engine you may want to read the reviews on http://www.devmaster.net/engines/.
Very useful link, thank you very much!

I find it hard to varify the licnece fees with them, they never clearly state, for commercial= 2,300 for private= free etc.

you have to be a lawyer and be able to desypher the pages of legal jargon to find out nothing close to what you wanted to know.
Likely its just me!

is torque free for commercial use does anyone know? or even cheap?

Does anybody know how Blender's (free) game engine compares? It has good reviews on devmaster. Maybe it's worth trying.
Quote:Original post by carlito123
Very useful link, thank you very much!

I find it hard to varify the licnece fees with them, they never clearly state, for commercial= 2,300 for private= free etc.

you have to be a lawyer and be able to desypher the pages of legal jargon to find out nothing close to what you wanted to know.
Likely its just me!

is torque free for commercial use does anyone know? or even cheap?

Uhmm... any of GarageGames' products (ie the various versions of Torque) list their prices on the right side of the page for any product you look at.
Torque Game Builder (Indie) - $100
Torque Game Engine (Indie) - $150
Torque Game Engine Advanced (Indie) - $295
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
you might also want to check out Panda3D. there is a link in my sig

Eric Ranaldi a.k.a RanBlade

[size=1]"Passion is what drives you to stay up until 4am fixing that bug that hardly anyone would notice...

[size=1]Passion is where great games come from, if you dont live and breathe games you shouldn't be in the games industry."

[size=2]- Dave Pottinger, Ensemble Studios

[size=1][GameDev][C++ Page][Unity Game Engine][Panda3D Game Engine][NeHe Productions][Drunken Hyena][MSDN][Beej's Guide to Network Programming]

[size=1][FreedBSD][My Site][Gamasutra][Khan Acadamey]

Nice one guys! appreciated.
I am looking at Irrlicht and it looks quite interesting, aparently completely free for any usage and quite versatile. Lets see what the coders think.

Cheers again
Irrlicht isn't a game engine, its a graphics engine. You'll still need libraries for everything else (sound, physics, game etc), but it's certainly not bad.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement