Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MadProgrammer

GetAsyncKeyState() and buffers!!!!!!!!!

My program was acting funny a while ago. Lots of times, i would run it, and it would immediately close. Then, i would run it again not 5 seconds later, and it would work! then, i wanted to run the loop: while(!GetAsyncKeyState(VK_RETURN)) { } with stuff in there, of course, but the loop would automatically exit. (tested this by incrementing a counter and sending to data file) then, i did this: while(GetAsyncKeyState(VK_RETURN)); while(!GetAsyncKeyState(VK_RETURN)) { } and my program works fine now. i figgered out what is happening, but not how to fix it. there is apparently a buffer of keys that have been pressed somewhere in windows. there was apparently some extra VK_RETURNs in that buffer, and they were causing the GetAsyncKeyState() thingy to return true, making the loop not ever run. i assume this is happening for my VK_ESCAPE test that exits my program. i need a way to clear the buffer that GetAsyncKeyState() reads from. CAN ANYONE HELP??? MadProgrammer

You could try,

flush(stdin);

which should empty the input buffer, but whether this is the same buffer which windows uses for GetAsyncKeyState I have no idea. Hope this helps,

BloatWare

...It''s a case RTFM, or RTFMSDN...

GetAsyncKeyState is _unbuffered_ and returns the current state of the key with a little history information.
It does _not_ return a boolean true/false style value as the code tries to use.

MSB = Key currently down
LSB = Key _has_been_down_ since last call to function

Jans.