Sign in to follow this  
krisiun

Shadow mapping

Hi, I'm trying to choose the best method for implementing cascaded shadow maps for directional and spot lights. Stable CSM idea looks quite nice. The problem with this approach that it needs to use a bounding sphere around frustum cascade. This means, that shadow map has a quite low resolution and I need to render a lot of objects into it. Another problem is that when I have indoors ant outdoors, I can’t dynamically adjust split distances for optimal usage of shadow map cascades. What do you think about stable CSM? Is it used in commercial games? Another question - is there a way to use stable CSM idea when casting shadows from spotlights? And the last one, how do you focus shadow map for directional and spotlights? By extending light-space bounding box (like in PSSM paper) or by cutting geometry like in LiSPM paper? Or maybe there is some other way?

A bit. Using stable CSM you have to focus your shadow map on a bounding sphere around frustum. This means that in most cases shadow map won’t be used optimally comparing to standard CSM. With standard CSM you can focus it only on visible shadow receivers and some shadow casters.