_far pointers?

Started by
6 comments, last by MARS_999 22 years, 10 months ago
What is ? == to a far pointer in the new c++ standard? I have a old .h file I want to use but has far pointers in it. I am trying to use it in VC++6.0. Thanks Windows 98/SE/ME SUCKS! Deal with it! if(windows crashes) run Linux else yeah right!! RESIST WINDOWS XP!!!!!!!!!! RESIST .NET TECH!!!!!!!!!!!
Advertisement
If you are programming for windows 95+/NT (or any 32 bit environment such as Linux etc) then there is no such distinction as far/near pointers, they are all 32 bits.

just #define far to nothing before #include''ing the old file and it should work
However, if your program needs far pointers for accessing video memory(very common during the DOS days), you might need to rewrite the whole routine.

==========================================In a team, you either lead, follow or GET OUT OF THE WAY.
As the previous poster said, you don''t need far pointers in win32 programming since win32 supports a flat 32bit memory structure. For a bit of history, in the old 16bit programming days under DOS, memory pointers had to support the segmented structure - in other words 32 bit addresses where made up of a 16 bit segment address and a 16 bit offset to make up a 32bit address. near addresses where within the same segment and could be addressed with a near pointer (16bits) - far addresses where outwith the current segment and needed a far pointer which consisted of an offset and segment address (32bits). Fortunately, we can forget all of this now since win32 does not need this but of course some legacy code still contains a lot of this stuff.
HenryLecturer in Computer Games TechnologyUniversity of Abertay DundeeScotlandUK
That is just great! I am using a DOS library for graphics. e.g. microsoft''s in VC++1.52. I wanted to try and use it in VC++6 but no luck. Is their any library files I could download that would do the same for console apps in VC++6? Thanks

Please forgive me! =)
Oh BTW if I can''t use a graphics library for the windows console, does Borlands C++ Builder 5 support something like this?

Please forgive me! =)
Don''t think you can switch graphics modes in a console app easily(I could be wrong). Why not learn Direct X? It''ll take most of the pain away (in theory at least).
==========================================In a team, you either lead, follow or GET OUT OF THE WAY.
Your right NuffSaid! I decided to learn win32 api and am doing some GDI in it with what VC++6 has to offer for grahpics. Also just got my OpenGL game programming book and it''s a GREAT book! I will be using OpenGL for my graphics API now. I just got to mess around with GDI a little more and then into OpenGL! =)

Please forgive me! =)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement