Using Ming to develop a game

Started by
4 comments, last by repoleved 15 years, 8 months ago
Hello, I want to know if using Ming is a good way to develop a single-user Flash game. Would you recommend it? I don't want to invest in Adobe Flash yet. I considered using Java, but JRE isn't installed on as many machines as Flash and is a big download. I've also heard that Java games are slow. Thanks.
Advertisement
Here are some features the game will have:
- sound events (such as a sound after bumping into something)
- animation
- mouse tracking and clicking

I know this is possible using Java but having the install base of Flash is too attractive.
Quote:Original post by repoleved
I've also heard that Java games are slow.

I heard the moon was made out of cheese.
What limitations, if any, have people come across with while developing with Ming?
If the game you want to make really honestly isn't feasible in Java because of performance considerations, it isn't going to be even remotely close to feasible in Flash.

As for the tool you're looking at, I've never heard of it, and considering how long I've been around, I'd be willing to bet a lot of other people haven't either. Have you considered searching the internet at large?
From my experience, Java Applets take a long time to start up. I shouldn't have mentioned about Java's speed. My main concern is ensuring that everyone has JRE installed. If they don't, the JRE is big download and is bulky. On the other hand, the Flash player is under 2 MB and starts up very fast. Flash just has a bigger user base.
I asked here because I could not find any Ming active development forums, and I thought I would ask a large game development forum.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement