Thinking outside a box

Started by
5 comments, last by pulpfist 15 years, 8 months ago
So I was sitting around the other day looking threw some old concept drawings and was thinking to myself why is it that I feel like I'm having trouble coming up with any 'cool' game ideas. Just wanted to know what gets other people going. Ultimately I would love to make a game that is a fresh concept and has fresh game play elements.
Advertisement
Good luck. Humans have had a few millennia to devise games. That's a whole lotta competition for making something new and interesting.
To each his secrets, but being creative is above all being risky... that leap of faith with something "new and querky" is what can possibly create a creative product. So don't be afraid to experiment and do "CRAZY!" things, you'll only grow stronger.... also diversify your activities (music, hobbies etc...) you never know when inspiration may bite you!! ;^)

Good Luck!!
I recommend the "Whack on the Side of the Head" and "Kick in the Seat of the Pants" books by Roger Von Oech for those times when your creativity needs, um, whacking or kicking. Just look for the author's name on Amazon or Barnes & Noble, etc.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I find one thing that helps in this area is to not allow yourself to be constrained by perceived "rules" and "conventions" of a genre.

Don't be afraid to buck the trend. It makes your project risky, yes, but it also gives you an edge, and is the only way to tap into truly unique gameplay.

Additionally, don't allow yourself to buy into the sentiment of pessimists who chant phrases like "every idea has already been thought of" and "there's no such thing as unique gameplay". It's bullshit - if everyone thought like that we would never see anything new and unique.
Indeed. It's not impossible. There's been plenty of new and interesting games (well, not totally new; all games derive from a few core designs, but using a more casual definition).

Unfortunately, most new and interesting games turn out to be crap. Or a good idea that just doesn't have any staying power. Or a good idea that you can't sell. Or a good idea that only caters to a limited audience...

Novel and cool are good. Well implemented and polished is better. And easier.

Though to focus back on the original question: I find that focusing on what I don't like (and developing a novel solution for it that fits into the gameplay) is the best way to get to something new and interesting. Often changing one thing requires a cascading number of things to help deal/balance/enhance that one change.
Reading a book like Art of War may give you some inspiration. It did for me anyway

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement