recommand a functional language with a GOOD IDE

Started by
17 comments, last by Daerax 15 years, 8 months ago
I want to learn a pure functional language before i get started learning F# however when i tried some haskell all i found was an interpreter and a command line compiler iirc . That may just sound lazy , but i don't want to put up with that and that's a no compromise , i'm used to vstudio / knowing errors on the fly before i even hit compile (C#) hit a single button and it builds/report errors/run so the whole hit save go to command line hit compile read potentatial errors and if there are none run separately way of doing is a NO GO. Now i'm not asking a vstudio like interface but are there any languages that come out of the box (or have a well supported, non awkward to setup) with an ide that at least lets you type code , does some basic syntax coloring (at least keyword in a color & my code in another) and simply have a big compile & run button i could click? I'm sure there are but i thought i'd just ask instead of trying to repertoriate all the functional languages and then checking out all of their IDEs. If you know of multiple the most (in that order) mainstream , pure functional , easy to learn language is best. Thanks for your help.
Advertisement
Notepad++ (and I'm sure other editors) supports syntax highlighting for Haskell.

But I think what you're after is Visual Haskell - http://www.haskell.org/visualhaskell/ :)

Edit: Alternatively, although not quite what you're asking for, there's an IDE for Haskell on Windows called Hugs, it's just an interpreter (I believe?), but it's good for getting a comfortable feel for Haskell.
Related to Haskell, you could use Leksah or have a look in the pretty good Wiki at http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/ (which gives away other IDEs like EclipseFP for overall functional programming). And for a GameDev example, there is a Quake Haskell named FRAG (http://code.haskell.org/frag/).

To the overall functional programming question:
Thats again a principle discussion with everyone having its favourite. Personally, I am no functional crack but I kind of dig F#. Still Haskell I had to learn and it has some good points and examples for GameDev especially.

So, maybe just try Haskell or go with F#. Or wait for others to comment and give more practical approaches as I am no FP programmer. ^^'
-----The next statement is not true!The previous statement is true!
In addition to the Visual Haskell link posted by Chu, you want the Visual Studio Shell.

Its a free full functioning shell of visual studio - just without any built in languages. however debugging, highlighting the full visual studio IDE is there. it allows you to use languages which have plugins for visual studio. Because the plugin is for visual studio 2005 and I do not know if there is a free shell for that you will have to manually install the plugin for 2008. I am sure the various instructions required are scattered online. It will be tedious though.

In the functional language spectrum I know of two that are maintained. F# which you know. And Nemerle which I prefer.

For Eclipse there is Scala. It been a while since I used it but I do not think intellisense is there and the IDE is not as good as visual studio. I think Clean has its own IDE but it does not have debugging - which to be honest is not really needed in languages like it - nor intellisense.

----

Im curious. Why the emphasis on pure? You can restrict your self to the pure subset of F# by not using the words mutable or ref in your code. It is interesting that you are trying to prepare yourself for F# with haskell, most people go the other way round :)

[Edited by - Daerax on August 18, 2008 7:41:10 AM]
How about Scheme( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheme_(programming_language) ) as the language and Dr. Scheme( http://www.drscheme.org/ ) ?
I'm pretty fond of Clean.
Manufacturing metaphores in my melancholy mind.
Quote:Original post by ranakor
I want to learn a pure functional language before i get started learning F# however when i tried some haskell all i found was an interpreter and a command line compiler iirc . That may just sound lazy , but i don't want to put up with that and that's a no compromise , i'm used to vstudio / knowing errors on the fly before i even hit compile (C#) hit a single button and it builds/report errors/run so the whole hit save go to command line hit compile read potentatial errors and if there are none run separately way of doing is a NO GO.
How did you manage to not find any Haskell IDEs?

I suggest Lisp and this wonderful IDE called Emacs. [smile]
Thanks for the suggestions:

Visual haskell sounds exactly like what i need and as a bonus i'll feel at home with the GUI.

The reason i'm going for pure functional before F# and not the other way around is that i'm not interested in a transition to functional but in F# itself , i want to try out other paradigms and F# allows me to do it in .net wich is my field. I could go straight for F# but then i'll use it like C# , learning some form of functional language first will force me to work functional and then let me do that too whenever i'll use F#.

sneftel: I'm NOT looking for a haskell ide , i'm looking for a (imagine i quoted myself here) , you're compressing my question in a very lossy way. I'm looking for ANY functional language ide that does syntax highlighting and has a compile button and want help selecting one. That's not yet something google can do. Your results give visual haskell as last result of 1st page , should i have downloaded all the others 1st & tried it? or refined my search? because googling for haskell ide compile syntax highlighting actually removes it from the 1st page. Also searching for "the best ide among all functional languages" isn't gonna provide a whole lot of results and that's what i want , i'm not gonna use the language for long it's just a learning platform for me so i want to have nice tools to toy around with so whenever i make a 1 liner change in a stupid 3 line file i don't have something cumbersome to do to even see if it compiles.
Ah, I see. The wordcount you spent defending your decision to use an IDE made me assume that you were implying that this seemed to rule out pure functional languages. Sorry for misinterpreting.

As for which one, I'm not entirely but mostly happy with the Haskell plugin for Eclipse. It's a great IDE overall, and it actually does do continuous compilation. It also has syntax highlighting. I thiiiink it has completion, but I'm not sure.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement