Sign in to follow this  
BlackSeeds

MD3 Models - Legal issues?

I didn't really know which forum to post this in so thought it was a beginner question as I know nothing about it, apologies if this posted in the wrong place. I have almost finished a little 3rd person shooter I have been working on for a little while, at the minute I use MD3 model loader and animator from a tutorial all the rest of the work is my own (started the project as collision detection experiment). I only plan on using this game to put on my portfolio and use it for academic purposes (I'm just about to go into 3rd year university). its not intended for commercial gain or anything. Just wanted to know are there any legal implications of using the quake 3 models (sarge, doom, major, etc..) obviously quake3 source is released now so what about the code I have used to load and render the md3 file format? Cheers Alex

There's no problems I know of with using the MD3 file format or loading code. However there's definitely a problem with using Doom 3 assets in your application, even if it's free and not for any commercial gain. Best case is that nobody notices and you get away with it, worst case is you get a cease and desist notice from id's lawyers.

Quote:
Original post by Evil Steve
There's no problems I know of with using the MD3 file format or loading code. However there's definitely a problem with using Doom 3 assets in your application, even if it's free and not for any commercial gain. Best case is that nobody notices and you get away with it, worst case is you get a cease and desist notice from id's lawyers.

That's cool, so if I get some custom models of that format all will be OK?

Quote:
Original post by BlackSeeds
That's cool, so if I get some custom models of that format all will be OK?
So long as you follow any restrictions those models might have, yes. If you make your own models then there's no problems at all.

Quote:
Original post by Evil Steve
So long as you follow any restrictions those models might have, yes. If you make your own models then there's no problems at all.

That's just as I thought, I'll have a look about for some free ones on the net, hoping to post the game in IOTD sometime. But always notice people putting up work and getting the comments back, "take it down id's gonna sue you " so didn't want to end up like that :)

cheers for clarifying the situation.