Frustrated with 3d files!

Started by
6 comments, last by stefu 22 years, 7 months ago
It would all be so easy if I had 3d-studio. I van''t afford it and I need program that exports to DirectX file format with skinning and animation. Many of those modelling tools can export .x files but they dont support skined meshes (DirectX8 SDK required). Milkshape is good, but no .X export plugins at all (or is there? supporting skinned mesh with animation). Truespace exports .X but just frames. Canvas3D same thing, uses .x 7 specs. Lot of good modellers, but no-one supports the most important features. I just need a simple modeller to export directly to X format (hate converting to format a thet to b then to c and finally to .x with full of bugs). What modeller are you using? So many seems to have 3d Studio but I can forget it. What do you know about Strata 3d. They offer three versions: base, plus and pro. The Base version is full free with less features, but I read it has DirectX export. But It is not available on their site. How can I get it. I''m just afraid of that only the Pro version supports skinning. Help!
Advertisement
Try blender.

Cant remember the adress though... do a search for it.

=======================
Game project(s):
www.fiend.cjb.net
=======================Game project(s):www.fiend.cjb.net
Have you tried to export a 3ds file from milkshape AND use con3dvs to export it as a .x file?

That doesn´t look as hard nor as bug-full.

What the hells!
What the hells!
You''re not the only one who doesn''e wont to pay $x000.00 for 3D Studio.

I have a similar problem, and decided to use Blender v. 2.1x since it supports python plugins.

Basically you can write some Python code to export any of the data you need. But you have to learn Python first (which I had to do), or search the web for previously written scripts, if you''re lucky you''ll find what you need, if not ... well, Python is very easy to learn
I''m in the process of writing my own Python code to export all that I need.
Same problem here! cant'' seem to get this to work.

tried exporting to 3ds and converting, but the converter crashes then!
SkullOne - Hero Interactivehttp://www.hero-interactive.com
Hello,
You can use the 3ds plugin by Microsoft in the "extras" portion of the SDK (CD or Online). It exports MAX stuff w/ the "skin" modifier applied to them.
Click here to download the plugin for MAX.
The meshes exported w/ this plugin work correctly in the SkinnedMesh sample. This only works if you have 3DSMax however. Otherwise, there is an X file editor. Click here to try it out. I still have to figure out how the SkinnedMesh sample works but that's another story...

Peace.

--Mohotmoz

Edited by - mohotmoz on July 7, 2001 8:52:02 AM
THere are some new Direct X export plugins for Milkshape available from the Chumba-Lum Soft page. I know there is one that was coded specifically for DX8. Also... writing plugins for Milkshape isn''t very hard, either. The SDK and interface is about as simple as you can get
My two chunks of silicon,RykardLord High Wannabe, Blackstaff Intertainment
There is a plugin for Truespace called trueX that exports to directx 8 format with skin animation. Look in the Caligari''s user forum page and look for topic "A gift from the plugin gods: A real X format exporter. ". It works great.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement