• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Zaph-0

Bigger terrain through vertex syntesizing ?

This topic is 3747 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys, I am wokring on a terrain and I'd like to make a huge one. The problem I have is that it either costs too much memory, is not big enough or has to be streamed which also is quite a burden (not to mention makeing jumps cost time to reload the new data). So I considered using the heightmap only as rough approximation and create all the missing information on the fly with perlin noise. I thought that if I use a 1024x1024 terrain, and create 8 additional vertices for height and width each for every real vertex, I could increase it to 8192x8192. Or maybe by seeing the original heightmap as a really rough draft increasing it to 64 additional vertices and therefore a 65536x65536 map. The problem I see with this approach is that I cannot use a basemap anymore because it would just be too far stretched (I think) and would therefore have to blend all necessary textures for all triangles on the fly. I think this might decrease the performance because I cannot simply use a basemap for all the distant triangles but have to use blending there too but on the other hand I could gain some flexibility and much bigger terrains. Streaming (if necessary) would also be faster because I would no longer need a basemap (which can be problematic at seams). But on the other hand the controllable detail would be low because I cannot set each vertex individually but only influence the every Xth vertex because the rest is created on the fly. Although I think by using some predefined noise textures with certain characteristics I can get around that problem somewhat... What do you think ? Is this a good way to tackle this problem or am I completely off track ? Are there any established methods to handle this that I am not aware of ? Thanks for any replies... ^_^ [Edited by - Zaph-0 on August 19, 2008 2:52:41 AM]

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!