NVPerfHUD vs ATI PerfStudio

Started by
2 comments, last by MJP 15 years, 8 months ago
Hey everyone. Recently I've been considering replacing my PC's 8800 GTS with a new ATI HD 4870. Performance-wise I think I'd be satisfied, but I'm a bit concerned because this PC also happens to be my development PC and I've gotten used to having Nvidia's NVPerfHUD (which is a very handy tool). So I was wondering if anybody with experience using both NVPerfHUD and ATI's PerfStudio could tell me how the two stack up in practical use. Is PerfStudio as easy to use and set up? Does it require an instrumented driver? Is it stable? Any insights you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated. [smile]
Advertisement
i cant install the tool under vista (ati perfhud), to be honest: none of the ati .msi packages.
they mailed me back, told me something that it could be activex or something else being deactivated, but i wasnt able to get it to work.

anything else works on my system.
I tried using PerfStudio once and couldn't get it to work under Vista and with DX9. I seem to recall reading somewhere that it only works for DX10 under Vista. With Xp, I imagine it works with DX9.

So, I'm not sure which is actually better or not assuming you can get it to run.

I don't think it needed an instrumented driver to run. Supposedly, NVPerfHud doesn't need any instrumented driver anymore under Vista, but, the only Nvidia machine I have kicking around is running Xp, so, can't verify that.
Quote:Original post by andur
I tried using PerfStudio once and couldn't get it to work under Vista and with DX9. I seem to recall reading somewhere that it only works for DX10 under Vista. With Xp, I imagine it works with DX9.

So, I'm not sure which is actually better or not assuming you can get it to run.

I don't think it needed an instrumented driver to run. Supposedly, NVPerfHud doesn't need any instrumented driver anymore under Vista, but, the only Nvidia machine I have kicking around is running Xp, so, can't verify that.

Hmmm...no DX9 under Vista would be a no-go, since I use Vista and I'm currently working on a project that uses the XNA Framework (and hence uses D3D9). I'll have to look into that, thanks for the heads up.

And you're right that the newest version of NVPerfHUD doesn't need an instrumented driver, it works on my machine without one.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement