Sign in to follow this  
dandjimon

movement and camera

dandjimon    122
hi guyz! i would like to create a simple movement based game. actually i need the engine for it. so basicly it comes down to this: there should be an object preferably a sfere that moves on a limited plane with no obstacles. it should be able to move in all directions (up, down, left & right) and here's the catch...it needs to have a third person camera. so i need some really good advice on how to accomplish such a problem. i realised i have to use hyperspace vectors (quaternions) for the camera but i dont know how. and one more thing...can it be done without using openGL? i have some c++ exp but haddnt had time to implement it for openGL! that's it for now! tnx

jyk    2094
Quote:
Original post by dandjimon
hi guyz!

i would like to create a simple movement based game. actually i need the engine for it. so basicly it comes down to this: there should be an object preferably a sfere that moves on a limited plane with no obstacles. it should be able to move in all directions (up, down, left & right) and here's the catch...it needs to have a third person camera. so i need some really good advice on how to accomplish such a problem. i realised i have to use hyperspace vectors (quaternions) for the camera but i dont know how. and one more thing...can it be done without using openGL? i have some c++ exp but haddnt had time to implement it for openGL!

that's it for now!
tnx
First of all, you do not need to use quaternions for this (or anything else, really). You certainly can use them (and for some applications they may even be the optimal choice), but it's important to understand that they are not the only way to accomplish what you want to accomplish.

As for the rest, what's your programming background? You mentioned some C++ experience - how much exactly? Do you know any other programming languages? Have you ever done any graphics programming? And what platforms are you targeting?

dandjimon    122
ok...i do know some other languages such as pascal and C...of course theres c# but not so good as those two. and the thing im most familiar with is OOP. so here comes C++. ive done some smaller aplications such as ticket and seat placeing programs for the local theatre and similar aplications. i have some exp in java and at the end the thing i used the most is web programming...php scripting...ect.
what platform am i interested in...actually i didnt put much thought into that...it could be multyplatform...why?

oh and graphics programming...well i do know something about that from java...but other than that not really. what do you have in mind?

i trust you have some exp and the problem mentioned above is not as hard for you as it is for me...so what do you suggest i do? how do i start?