Sign in to follow this  
OrangyTang

Automating a manual web build/submission

I'm stuck with a web-based tool for managing application versions, with no kind of command line alternative available. This is a right pain since the automated build can do 90% of the work yet requires a human to step in and do the final 10% (which includes logging in, setting a few options and uploading a file via a series of web forms). I'd like to automate the whole process, now I could probably hack together a python or java program to pull down the pages, parse the html and send back the correct responses but that's a lot of work and I'm sure that tools to do this sort of thing must already exist somewhere. Does anyone know of any (preferably good, free) tools like this?

You mean a good, free (and a general) tool to pull a random web form from the Internjet, query some update information to be embedded to your application, distribution package or something and finally to upload your application to somewhere?

Feels rather much like a situation you have write some logic to do that. [smile] You could try Maven or Ant or SCons if you haven't already. It's a few years I've dabbled with those, but they are rather easy to extend with your own build steps.

I was looking for something a bit more web-focused than a general build tool like Ant or SCons, since there'd be a lot of tedious parsing of html and I'd have to spoof certain browser features (like cookies).

I've been pointed towards Technika, which is a plugin to firefox which provides a nice scripting language which looks like what I'm after, so I'm going to give that a try.