voxel-based volume-based voxlap engines

Started by
10 comments, last by PolyVox 15 years, 7 months ago
Hi all, I have tried so many engines but each time I find somehting hard for me. Now I stopped at Vertual3d engine - it has all but..... voxel-based terrain. I'm no designer and i can't afford time to make meshes separatly. Is there are engines you can buy for affordable price for indies that have built in world editor in (in real time if possible) that allow voxel-based terrain editing? Or have special addons that allow meshes building inside the world? By voxel-based technology I mean you can build caves, overhangs and so on. Thanks alot! for your references!
Advertisement
Graphic Programming and Theory may give you a better response than Game Design, so I'll move this there.
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Can you post a link to the engine? I've never heard of Vertual3D/Virtual3D. The we might have more idea what we a re dealing with :-)
Oh mistaken; its called : http://www.visual3d.net/

The engine is really good! i mean its so nice! Easy to use and so on but has no voxel based architeture. But it has a possibility of addons. If only voxel based meshes could be added to scene withing editor or terrain edited like terrain in Crysis! It would make a paradise!
Sadly, aside from a few experiments that have died off, and some Ogre3d addons, Voxel technology died a death back in the late 90's. We're seeing a resurgence in games like Crysis, and IDTech 6 is supposedly going to be almost 70% voxel based, but until then you'd have to go back to something like the build engine if you wanted it cheap.

Unless you are willing to license the cry engine, of course ;)
So Ogre3d has such addons for it? oh that is interesting!!! Actually that might be the end to my painfull days :D. I'll check out OGRE3d, sounds promising :D , heard its one of best engiens out there.

Anything else out there of such nature? and quality?
Quote:Original post by tvvladimir
So Ogre3d has such addons for it?

rian carnarvon is probably referring to my project here (which is also here on the Ogre forums) and also to beaugard's work here. However, neither project is yet very mature.

Ogre is indeed a great engine, but be aware it is for programmers. You can't just pick it up and start making levels.

[Edit:] Argh - I now notice my site has been hacked :-( Please read my Ogre thread instead!
You were right. Ogre3d is not gonna let me start straight on making the levels. I tried to follow instructions but really lost my head when it came to setting variables and dll's. Well its a pity one more time noone uses this technology in other easy to use engines. what a bummer seriously. one of best tools for designers. Not sure but I think Assasins creed might have used this technology too as well as crysis. I think i will just stick with Blender engine, at least there u can add meshes inside it, but it is so bad when it comes to programming :(. coz i'm no programmer.

Pitty, i had this nice game in mind, took me a year to make an idea about it, it requires the least amount of people and resources, just this voxel technology is actually really needed.
Quote:http://www.visual3d.net/
This is an engine written in C# .. so it runs only on a windows PC.
Why don't you license the Crytek engine? It is not very expensive compared to what it would cost to let people program it and especially not compared to the $15+ million that you will have to pay for the assets of a game.
Something tells me its not going to cost around 300 bucks?!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement