(xna) good program to profile xna games?

Started by
7 comments, last by FoxHunter2 15 years, 8 months ago
Hi, Just wondering if anyone knows of a good profiler for XNA code/games... just to get things like resources usage, performance, etc. More looking to test a built game or app, rather than testing code directly... Cheers [Edited by - soarah on August 18, 2008 7:10:59 PM]
Advertisement
For resource usage, the CLR Profiler is always nice.

For performance? That one's trickier. if you're looking for free, the best one that I've found is nprof, which (depending on which version you get) is either buggy (0.9.1) or buggy and useless (0.10).

You could use the ANTS profiler, but at almost $300, it's not exactly cheap (but it's awesome).

I haven't found any sort of middle ground between those two.
Quote:Original post by Drilian
For resource usage, the CLR Profiler is always nice.

For performance? That one's trickier. if you're looking for free, the best one that I've found is nprof, which (depending on which version you get) is either buggy (0.9.1) or buggy and useless (0.10).

You could use the ANTS profiler, but at almost $300, it's not exactly cheap (but it's awesome).

I haven't found any sort of middle ground between those two.

Thanks will check them out
anyone had any luck using perfHud (http://developer.nvidia.com/object/nvperfhud_home.html) with XNA?
Quote:Original post by soarah
anyone had any luck using perfHud (http://developer.nvidia.com/object/nvperfhud_home.html) with XNA?

Yup, I use it all the time. Works like a charm, and very useful. PIX also works well...when it's not crashing.

I've had luck with LTProf as a nice profiler for a reasonably price (< $50). It's not as feature complete as the more expensive ones (obviously), but it gets me 90% of the way there. It supports profiling almost any code base than can produce debug symbols. And you get 30 days free to see if it works for you.
[size=2]Darwinbots - [size=2]Artificial life simulation
I'd say PIX is probably your best bet, as well as NvPerfHud if you're on NVIDIA hardware (though keep in mind that 360 graphics hardware is not like most PC hardware).
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Will give PIX a go, perfHud just crashes when I try to load it with my game or the included demo.

I also don't like with perdHud it seems you have to use default windows display drivers.
With XNA 3.0 CTP, NVPerHUD 6 renders everything with 0.2fps, making debugging impossible. I haven't tried it with XNA 2.0 though, but NVPerHUD 5 worked fine back then.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement