Registerring an International Trademark.

Started by
22 comments, last by frob 15 years, 8 months ago
Hi guys. I work with a company-to-be , and I'm trying to get our name trademarked. I've seen articles on making a trademark with the US Government office that does that sort of thing, but we've got people located throughout the world. Does this make a difference? Do I need to go somewhere else for an international trademark? Also, how do I register a game name? Any help is appreciated.
Advertisement
International trademarks: Madrid system.
~Mona Ibrahim
Senior associate @ IELawgroup (we are all about games) Interactive Entertainment Law Group
It's pretty expensive to do this globally.
Even just doing it for the US and Europe is going to cost more than most small companies can afford.

You might be better looking at Copyright.

Back in the good old days I used to mail a completed version of software, or logo, or whatever, to myself in a registered envelope - and NEVER open it.

Should there ever be a dispute over copyright you can use that as evidence of a date-line for your concept.
Feel free to 'rate me down', especially when I prove you wrong, because it will make you feel better for a second....
Quote:Original post by scratt
Back in the good old days I used to mail a completed version of software, or logo, or whatever, to myself in a registered envelope - and NEVER open it.

Should there ever be a dispute over copyright you can use that as evidence of a date-line for your concept.

You can do that but it doesn't work. IIRC it's never held up in court as it's far too easy to fake: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poor_man%27s_copyright

If you want to copyright something do the right thing and contact a lawyer/ go to the http://www.copyright.gov/ site

-me
Quote:Original post by scratt
[trademarks are] pretty expensive...
You might be better looking at Copyright.

That's the funniest thing I read all day!

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

care to explain?
Quote:Original post by Chwaga
care to explain?

Copyright and trademark are very different things, but a lot of people get them confused (along with patents and trade secrets, the other members of the IP family). In this case, copyright won't do much to protect the brand power of your business name - it's clearly a trademark issue.

As an aside and just for my interest, is there an easy cheap method for securing copyright if you're broke? I know the "Poor Man's Copyright" doesn't work as it's too easy to fake, but could you take your work to, say, a Justice of the Peace or equivalent and get them to certify that it's original? Would that work in case of a dispute? (I'm just curious, and Australia doesn't have a copyright registration office).
care to explain?
Take no notice of Tom's arrogance. I'm sure he'll be glad to explain if you PM him though.
care to explain?

Follow Mona's link. It's the answer to your question.
Ignore "scratt's" red herring about copyright. Totally hilarious and wrong.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Ok..

Absolutely Trademark and Copyright are different things.
But you can protect a logo and so on simply with Copyright.

Also the poor mans copyright works just fine if you arrange to mail it to a Justice of the Peace and so on.

From the linked article from 'Mr. Arrogant' above .. Notice the emphasis on 'may not hold'
"Use of this method may not hold up in a court - as it is simple for individuals to pre-send envelopes which can then be used later by placing the actual IP materials inside."

Also this later in the same page he has linked to..
"The United Kingdom Patent Office says this:
... it may help copyright owners to deposit a copy of their work with a bank or solicitor or send a copy of their work to themselves by special delivery (which gives a clear date stamp on the envelope), leaving the envelope unopened on its return; this could establish that the work existed at this time. (Further details of special delivery should be available at Post Offices).""

Of course I could make a comment about the validity of quoting Wikipedia on any issue these days. But I won't.... oops.

My experience in this comes from the UK where our registered mail system is obviously a tad more trustworthy than in the US, and I have used it successfully to defend a case - albeit a few years ago.

@Tom, I was just trying to help, at the end of the day, and the attack was really unnecessary and made you look like an ass.. I suggest you go read some of your own 'green?' pages on your 'website'. Perhaps the section about 'Stupid Arrogance'.

Also, enforcing a Trademark is a world away from actually registering it.
Just like protecting a Patent is a lot harder than registering it.

[Edited by - scratt on August 18, 2008 11:03:35 PM]
Feel free to 'rate me down', especially when I prove you wrong, because it will make you feel better for a second....

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement