Should I use DX9c or DX10?

Started by
10 comments, last by intrest86 15 years, 8 months ago
Im currently working on a mmog, so I need to be sure the majority of my players are able to use HAL instead of SWEmu. So I am wondering if there is a version of directX 10 that can run under XP since almost everyone I know refuses to upgrade to vista. I want to be able to have the most people possible even if it means sacrificing graphical abilities. [Edited by - SypheriaChronicles on August 19, 2008 1:30:05 AM]
Advertisement
DX10 is Vista only.
Quote:Original post by SypheriaChronicles
I am wondering if there is a version of directX 10 that can run under XP since almost everyone I know refuses to upgrade to vista.
Dx9 or OpenGL then.
Thanks, thats what I thought.
OpenGL can use all the features of DX10 but OpenGL is allot harder to use then you might think...
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight club
Quote:Original post by EmptyVoid
OpenGL can use all the features of DX10 but OpenGL is allot harder to use then you might think...

What do u mean?
Quote:Original post by Hodgman
I am wondering if there is a version of directX 10 that can run under XP since almost everyone I know refuses to upgrade to vista.
Dx9 or OpenGL then.

I wouldn't use OpenGL right now: the new specifications have been just released, but without many of the expected features, wich should be added in the next version (they say in the next 12 months). This means that either you use the old version or you will have not much support and resources...
Im acctually getting a degree in software engineering and the next semester we are doing opengl programming.
Im acctually getting a degree in software engineering and the next semester we are doing opengl programming.
Just because people are beating on OpenGL at the moment doesn't mean it is suddenly worth avoiding completely. Whilst they have missed some big opportunities and hurt their long-term position there are still classes of applications and big companies that use the technology. Learning it at university level is likely to be more about the theory of a graphics pipeline and probably won't have time to go into huge detail so you'll be fine.

That and I'd be amazed if any of the top academics would voluntarily teach a Microsoft technology [lol]. My university certainly wouldn't have!

Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

lol. Bill Gates personally comes to my university and hires people from there in mass every year.

I want to launch a mmog development company. Im trying to personally learn as much as possible. Ive spent a year on my games design document, and I hope to have a working beta within the next 5 years, so that I may launch the game when I get out of school, since Im also getting a bach. of tech and a masters of info sciences.

I belive I have given myself reasonable time to complete my game. Ive already been programming for 13 years, I just have never dabbeled in openGL or DX yet. I would like to have all the time I need to ensure its a successful launch.

Ive already begun in Dx, but it would be a good learning experience to convert it from Dx to openGL afterwards and then it would be more accessible to the market.

(Please dont post flaming message that its not possible, ive seen how often it happens. I am quite skilled with programming in general, just not graphics yet. My fiance is an amazing artist. I have a sound engineer that has been so for over 20 years, and I have the finacial backing.)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement