Curved Face from Q3

Started by
3 comments, last by jesterlecodeur 22 years, 10 months ago
I have made a small viewer for Q3BSP map but i have some problem for the patchs. Does I wrote my own routines for drawing it (generating some new vertex) or can I use some DrawTriPatch or DrawRectPatch from DirectX 8? I've scearch on the web about these fonction but I find nothing. Why English rules?? C pas très malin tout ça! Edited by - jesterlecodeur on June 7, 2001 11:10:14 AM

------------------------------------------------------------
I wrote the best video game ever, then I woke up...

Grandus.Com
------------------------------------------------------------I wrote the best video game ever, then I woke up...
Yes I read two of them on gamasutra. And I check all this forum, but there is no DX8 implementation.
I think DX8 can improve the speed in dealing with drivers.
But I can''t find info on the 2 related fonction and how they work.
IDirect3DDevice8::DrawRectPatch
and
IDirect3DDevice8::DrawTriPatch

A schearch on the web give me only the DX8 SDK urls (no real explanation) and a white paper from nVidia. But it does just say that high order primitive are accelerated by a GeForce 3. No code or explanation on functions.

Why English rules?? C pas très malin tout ça!

When they load the map, they already tesselate the curved surfaces. This means, that they get a grid of vertices for every curved surface patch. At runtime, they do simplification by dropping rows/columns of this patch ... it''s really simple.

If you don''t have a GF3, then the DX8 curved surfaces won''t be of great help. It is not very hard to do the math yourself, as the gamasutra articles have probably demonstrated.

- Mk42
Thanx

I think I have spent too many hours in looking for information and trying to make this methods works.

I''m gonna to make it my way (like you said). But it''s stupid that MS make some functions but doesn''t explain how they work.

Why English rules?? C pas très malin tout ça!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement