Sign in to follow this  
Stiffler

[web] Web Hosting and Publishing Issues

Okay, so I was recently asked by my aunt and uncle to write a small website for their company. I had never done web development before but they said it was okay to not be professionally done or as attractive as other websites as an ugly website is better than no website. Well after about six months of learning and developing the website, using a mix between programmer art and real artists works I have a site finished which is able to be put online and viewed. Here's where the confusion comes in. As I have minimal experience with web development, I don't know much about the hosting situation. I made the website in asp.net using .net framework 2.0 and visual studio 2008 along with Ajax 1.0. The website also uses one MS SQL database to store employee info to be easily displayed on the site. So I obviously need a host that uses windows based hardware and offers a MS SQL database. But that's about all I know. Does anyone have any advice on which hosting plan to choose, or what specific items I need in the hosting plan. Also concerning publishing the website, as here I am completely lost. I know visual studio can publish using its own publishing feature, which basically copy’s the working directory to the server, which does work on my local machine if I install iis7 to test it. But I'm not sure what the host needs to have as I'm not sure exactly what I need? Along with how to go about publishing the site and MS SQL database. Any help about hosting or publishing in general would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone. Note: If you would like an easy comparison for my website’s needs, imagine taking the personal web starter kit from Microsoft and trying to get it published online. [Edited by - Stiffler on August 19, 2008 10:11:21 AM]

The problem here is that most hosting providers where you can get a site hosted for a reasonable amount only support PHP. I personally host my site at www.dreamhost.com. They used to have the ability to enable frontpage extensions, but even then I'm not sure you'll be able to run asp.net. But it would never hurt to check it out. If you do decide to go there, let me know and you can use me as a reference, this would help me keep my costs down seeing how every person I refer that actually becomes a member drops my monthly bill a little.