Sign in to follow this  
gleeb

beginner needs help

I would like to ask a few questions... so i can get stated with a clear mined. I wanna make a game (doesnt matter which) it will have everything in it, physics, 3d enviorment, cell shading. i want to program it with C#, but i dont know where to start from. this is what i do know: openGL is open sorce, but harder to program with, dont want that right now. D3D: is windows based from MS, (probebly more suited to C#. ok... what now? do i need a graphics engine like OGER (open sorce) to do anything?. or i can work with the D3d library with out it. what does the graphic engine do, when do i need it?

Quote:
do i need a graphics engine like OGER (open sorce) to do anything?.

It depends on what you want to do. However, since you're a beginner, your first projects will likely be so simple that you won't need a graphics engine. Eventually, if you want to write something like an FPS, then you'll need to either create your own graphics engine or utilize one like OGER.

Quote:
or i can work with the D3d library with out it

You can work with the D3D library without it.

If you're going to use C# to program your games, you should use XNA. It's basically a wrapper for all the DirectX stuff that you need and can be used across Windows and Xbox. Note that XNA is a framework like DirectX and not a graphics engine.

As for your last question, someone with more knowledge of graphics engines would have a better answer but I here's my idea of a graphics engine:

It's an abstraction layer between your game assets (textures, models, etc) that defines how the underlying graphics framework draws those assets to the screen.

To quote David McGraw:

"Just break everything down and take it one step" at a time.

(I added "at a time.")

As for the first step - start wherever you want. Learn the basics of programming or using 3D graphics. Then try fiddling with mod tools. You'll learn a lot, including what the next step should be.