Programs to work with

Started by
16 comments, last by sadron 15 years, 8 months ago
No answer to the question? :(
Advertisement
Yes, you can make 2D side scrolling games with the XNA.
I figured as much about the 2D thing I was just wondering if recreating the NES feel was possible.
Quote:I figured as much about the 2D thing I was just wondering if recreating the NES feel was possible.
Sure thing.
Neato! Thanks for comfirming my question :) So where should I start? Sorry to put this on your shoulders but I don't wanna disappoint. Where should I go to learn what I need? Any other links I mean.
This site has a lot of references. You can start here:

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/

First thing, you will need to know a language, such as C#. Then you will need to learn the "framework" you are working with. Win32, DirectX, XNA are several examples of APIs/frameworks. Knowing a language and an API fully is a big goal that is going to take some time.

First think you want to do is know what platform you are programming for. Once you know that, you can learn your language/framework. Then it is just a matter of learning and executing. Start small. Learn how to display a bitmap. Then animate from a sprite. Add a background. Implement input. Add sound. Once you know all the pieces you can put together the puzzle.
Quote:So where should I start? Sorry to put this on your shoulders but I don't wanna disappoint. Where should I go to learn what I need?
Your first step should be to pick up the basics of C#. Look around for book recommendations. I don't know about any particular websites to use. I used the MSDN reference and Petzold's .NET book zero later on. But if you aren't a programmer, those two sources are probably not a good idea.
Yeah I'm thinking C# is the way to go. thanks all.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement