Java IDE

Started by
9 comments, last by ractoc 15 years, 8 months ago
Hello I am fairly new to programming, Meaning that the only real programming language I know to a decent extent is Python. I am thinking about taking a class on Java next year at my High School but I want to be able to know something about the language before I actually start the class. If for some reason I don't like It or it doesn't suit my needs I don't want to already be enrolled in a class. I already have a book and obviously a computer but I am wondering if there are any very good IDE's available. I saw the one on the forum faq (Netbeans) but I would also like to know of any others that I could use. I also have to state that I am broke so I can't pay for one at the moment. Ive seen microsoft's Visual J but I am not sure if it is the same language that I would be using in my book. The book is Introduction to programming using Java. Any help is appreciated.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Exercise, eat right and be the best you can be!Translation: Play video games for finger streangth and eat lots of hot pockets to be at top programming efficiency.
Advertisement
You can also check out Eclipse
Both Netbeans and Eclipse are great free IDEs for working in Java. If you're already used to programming in Python then you should try out Eclipse and download the PyDev plugin for it. That'll allow you to use Eclipse for both Python programming and Java programming. Currently in development for Netbeans is nbPython.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
O_O wow Thats pretty cool I'll check it out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Exercise, eat right and be the best you can be!Translation: Play video games for finger streangth and eat lots of hot pockets to be at top programming efficiency.
NetBeans is really good. I didn't know a Python addin was in the works.
Quote:Original post by ajm0528
NetBeans is really good. I didn't know a Python addin was in the works.

Another vote for NetBeans. The latest version supports other languages as well (notably C++ :-( When I was looking for a good C++ IDE there was no support by NetBeans at the time, grr
And yet another vote for NetBeans. I used it until recently switching to IntelliJ/IDEA (which is better I think, but not free), and I've been quite satisfied with it. I don't know how NB compares with recent versions of Eclipse though.
Personally I only use Eclipse. I've used Netbeans in the past but found Eclipse to be more intuitive to use. But I'm mostly building J2EE apps at work with it, so it could be that Netbeans is just more geared towards J2SE.
I'd also vote for Netbeans. It's the default IDE at my Uni, and does everything that I need. I'd guess that it'll be the one used at your High School too.

Cheers,
-SD
Personally I'd just go with eclipse to begin with. I just think that if you can understand how eclipse works -- being that it is really really java based (i.e. everything is drop in), then you'll have a better understanding of java as a whole. Not taking anything away from Netbeans - its a great IDE and superior to eclipse in some ways (especially when it comes to J2EE development). So in a nutshell I'd say start with eclipse then try out netbeans.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement