Software exorcism book.

Started by
13 comments, last by Killocan 15 years, 8 months ago
This section is about: (how to avoid reverse engineering).
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Killocan
Hummm... Deyja, i don't think so, this sounds a bit odd, because he (the author) don't say anything about it, look this is the "FULL" section:

When sales engineers make a house call, all that they need to do in order to take a look under the hood is insert the debug information and crank up a debugger.
This is exactly what Deyja suggested. They ship a debug build, but they strip the debug info from it. Then all the programmer has to do is bring a copy of that stripped debug info, and he has a full debug build.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

ok, but... look:

"This can be done by stripping debug information (with a tool like GNU's strip utility) or by setting your development tools to generate a release build."

He suggests to make a release build.

It's still not clear for me, all i can do is suppose. What Deyja said makes sense, but it's not explicity on the text.
Yes it is. They give you two options. Then proceed to say that many companies choose the former, which results in a performance hit compared to the latter.

So in short I was right.
Yes, that's right, it fits. Thanks! :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement