Sign in to follow this  
gcard28

colliding a moving AABB against a triangle

gcard28    171
Hi, I am having a devil of a time figuring out when a moving AABB collides with a triangle. I can't seem to figure this out. I think that this would be an extension of my ray triangle code but alas the way to relate a moving AABB to ray collision escapes me. Is there a kind soul that could point me in the right direction? either through relevant links (I was unable to find any) or pseudo code as to how one might go about this? Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help me. Thanks!

jyk    2094
Quote:
Original post by gcard28

Hi,

I am having a devil of a time figuring out when a moving AABB collides with a triangle. I can't seem to figure this out. I think that this would be an extension of my ray triangle code but alas the way to relate a moving AABB to ray collision escapes me. Is there a kind soul that could point me in the right direction? either through relevant links (I was unable to find any) or pseudo code as to how one might go about this? Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help me. Thanks!
Note that this is actually more a 'math and physics' question than it is a 'graphics programming' question (the problem of intersecting two objects is generally independent of any graphical representation).

Anyway, the most straightforward way to accomplish this is probably by way of the SAT (separating axis test). This has been discussed a lot on these forums, so searching the archives will probably yield some good results.

The continuous AABB-triangle test is discussed a bit less than some other object pairs, so you may or may not find info on that specific test. However, once you understand how the SAT works, you should be able to contruct your own implementation.