Fishing in MMO

Started by
39 comments, last by hplus0603 15 years, 8 months ago
I don't use polygons on server. The world is flat for it. It's client knows that here's the rock, here's a down street. Yes, server checks some obstacles, but doesn't make a pollygon check.
VATCHENKO.COM
Advertisement
To me this is the underlying problem. With a server that only knows this, I actually can't come up with a good concept that doesn't use too much information on the client side either.

Perhaps you don't need every polygon detail on the server. If your world is flat, it might be sufficient to have 2D map what is at which place in the world.
I have such map: everything is divided to zones. But water is a big object that is in 10 times more than zone size.
VATCHENKO.COM
Quote:Original post by Anton Vatchenko
I don't use polygons on server. The world is flat for it. It's client knows that here's the rock, here's a down street. Yes, server checks some obstacles, but doesn't make a pollygon check.
The server can't tell the client something it doesn't know. That means you can't check where the client is fishing, server side. That means you'll have to change this so the server knows, or give control to the client (Which could cause exploits).
So you should split the water and have 10 zones that contain water, at least for the map.
I have such map: everything is divided to zones. But water is a big object that is in 10 times more than zone size.
Then the water exists in multiple zones. I don't see the problem?
I didn't tell that server doesn't know where client is. He knows the coords (for example 15.2, 1.32). But how to link it with fishing places (that must be invisible)? Because water is stored only on client as animated objects. Server doesn't know about it - so how to learn it?
VATCHENKO.COM
I didn't tell that server doesn't know where client is. He knows the coords (for example 15.2, 1.32). But how to link it with fishing places (that must be invisible)? Because water is stored only on client as animated objects. Server doesn't know about it - so how to learn it?
The server has to to know where the client is and where all the fishing spots are. Otherwise you can't have the server tell the client it's ok to fish.

The clients and server are all on the same map, so the server just needs its version of the world data loaded.
Yes, on 2 pages I repeat my question how to implement those spots (are they spheres, or single location has equal fish probability. And if I missed those spots I don't need to be informed... Is that useful for game design, or I need to repeat WoW or La2 history (making clone)?
VATCHENKO.COM
That depends on your game. On the server, you could divide the game world into a 2D grid, and have properties for each grid cell. You could store properties per triangle in your collision mesh. You could store multiple spheres (Possibly with some culling system so smaller spheres are culled in larger ones) and then do a simple point in sphere test. There's hundreds of ways of doing this, it's basically just collision detection.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement