Licensing engine

Started by
3 comments, last by dkx187 15 years, 7 months ago
Sorry if it's a foolish question, but after spending quite time trying to figure it out on my own, I can only hope that some kind spirit will help me out with an advice. I want to make an indie game and then sell it for money and I'd like to use a third party's engine for it. I've found a list of engines here http://gpwiki.org/index.php/Game_Engines and am particularily interested in the "license" column. Which one those types (commercial, indie, free) do I need in order to legally sell a game built upon premade engine? Does "Free" mean I can get it for free and use for non-commercial only purposes or I may actually profit from it?
Advertisement
"Free" means you don't have to pay for it and you have to abide by the terms of the license agreement.
So the answer is, read the license agreements as part of your process of choosing an engine.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote:Original post by Ardanis
I've found a list of engines here http://gpwiki.org/index.php/Game_Engines and am particularily interested in the "license" column. Which one those types (commercial, indie, free) do I need in order to legally sell a game built upon premade engine?

You will need to read the actual license for each of the engines to find out what they mean by free/indie/commercial because they may have different definitions of what is commercial exploitation and different definitions of what is indie. Some might say that no developer owned by a publisher can use an indie license, others that no developer funded by a publisher can use an indie license and others still may define indie by the amount of money made (either annually or on sales of a particular game). Each license may be different so you will need to read each one.

Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
If you find the licensing confusing on the engines, you could contact the people in charge and ask the question you do here.
if its free it is probably an open source engine.This eans that it is liscenced free for comercial use although it does have rules and restrictions.I found that ogre3d has the least restrictions for a free engine.

www.ogre3d.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement