How To Make A Surface Look Wet?

Started by
12 comments, last by Kryzon 15 years, 8 months ago
?
Advertisement
Usually some amount of glossiness and reflection and possibly light refraction are good.
Super soaker + your monitor? :P

You'll probably need to create some water drop effects. Maybe little water drop decals.
[size=2]Darwinbots - [size=2]Artificial life simulation
lol I figured reflection and a high specular but what else :P
Abuse normal and spec maps. 95% of the real time graphics techniques in the last few years just make things look wet.
Yeah animating a normal map with a super-high specular exponent should get you most of the way towards what you want. Maybe even blend between the regular normal map, and one that's animated reflecting the moving water.
Quote:Original post by MJP
Yeah animating a normal map with a super-high specular exponent should get you most of the way towards what you want. Maybe even blend between the regular normal map, and one that's animated reflecting the moving water.

Sounds easy enough ;o

Now for a harder problem.

Are there any published techniques for animating liquid flow down a character's texture?
Bizarrely enough, there are. See section 5 of this. That's for flat glass surfaces, but extending to other locally flat surfaces should be simple.
Also note that surfaces generally darken when they're wet (pour water onto concrete, stone, or wood to see what I mean), so turning down the diffuse color a little bit will also add to the effect.

Edit: Specifically, check out this paper on NVidia's Cascades demo. It's D3D10 specific and there's a lot in there that you don't need, but they do have a bit about making things look wet in it.
I've found this paper. Perhaps it can give you some hints.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement