Does XNA have all the Features of DirectX10?

Started by
46 comments, last by MJP 15 years, 7 months ago
Well I'm working on a project that I'd like to move to the Xbox 360 at some point but I'm not sure if I can use XNA. So does XNA support all the features of DirectX10 such as the unified shader?
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight club
Advertisement
"Unified shader" is a hardware term and has nothing todo with DX10; you could make a DX10 part which had descrete PS, GS and VS stages with no problem, or indeed go the route of Larrabee and not have any dedicated hardware at all. I'm pretty sure I've seen you throw this term around before; learn what a term means before using it, you just make yourself look foolish otherwise.

And to answer your question; the XB360 is (basically) a DX9 part, so you will have no DX10 funtionality there at all.
Quote:Original post by phantom
"Unified shader" is a hardware term and has nothing todo with DX10; you could make a DX10 part which had descrete PS, GS and VS stages with no problem, or indeed go the route of Larrabee and not have any dedicated hardware at all. I'm pretty sure I've seen you throw this term around before; learn what a term means before using it, you just make yourself look foolish otherwise.

And to answer your question; the XB360 is (basically) a DX9 part, so you will have no DX10 funtionality there at all.

How would saying "So does XNA support all the features of DirectX10 such as the unified shader?" be inappropriate? I must be able to use textures in the vertex shader, meaning the shaders would need to be unified. And yes the unified shader has EVERYTHING to do with DirectX10 on the Xbox360 seeing as it does not support OpenGL...

I've always know what the term means and have always know that it's based on hardware but before I thought DirectX and OpenGL were going though different parts of the video card.
Linky

Also, phantom is right about the unified shader. Even though Xbox's graphics card has a unified shader architecture, it doesn't support DX10.
Are they planing on releasing the next generation of consoles anytime soon?
Quote:Original post by Moonshoe
Linky

Also, phantom is right about the unified shader. Even though Xbox has a unified shader architecture, it doesn't support DX10.

You are wrong the Xbox does not have a unified shader because it's using a ATI video card which at the time of release ATI didn't have any video cards that support the unified shader.

If it did then it probably would support DirectX10 seeing as Microsoft is the owner of DirectX10, ATI, XNA and the Xbox360.

[Edited by - EmptyVoid on August 20, 2008 5:32:18 PM]
Quote:Original post by EmptyVoid
You are wrong the Xbox does not have a unified shader because it's using a ATI video card which at the time of release ATI didn't have any video cards that support the unified shader.

If it did then it probably would support DirectX10 seeing as Microsoft is the owner of DirectX10, ATI and the Xbox360.

Another linky.

If it did then it probably would support DirectX10 seeing as Microsoft is the owner of DirectX10, ATI and the Xbox360.

Another linky.

Why would Microsoft put features in the Xbox360 which can't even be use? If I wrote a game in DirectX10 /C++ is there some way to port it over to the Xbox360? I know Microsoft does not let random people do it for quality control but is it even possible?
Quote:Well I'm working on a project that I'd like to move to the Xbox 360 at some point but I'm not sure if I can use XNA.

Another linky.

Why would Microsoft put features in the Xbox360 which can't even be use?

They can be used by the XDK guys (lots of $$$ required, and C/C++ API).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement