Am I to old to start?

Started by
36 comments, last by Maveryck 15 years, 7 months ago
I would like to start off by saying thank you to all that reads/responds to this post, and any and all responces will be greatly appreciated. So off to the topic. I'll be turning 28 next month, and just started to relearn programming. When I was a kid, I used to make simple text based games on my commodore 64 (ouch, I'm old). Ever since then, I always wanted to get into the gaming industry. Unfortunately though, I took that "year off" from school after graduating, got a job, and 10 years later...no progress. But enough of that sob story... At 28 years old, is that to late to try to get into the business? I AM going to go to school pretty soon, and definately will take these courses as I would love to have this knowledge for a hobby at the least, but if it's to late for me, it'll be a minor. If the general response is that I'm an old fart already down one hill and goin up the next, any other options for a geezer like me to get into the wonderful world of video games? Or is every field lookin for young studs, and kickin' the grandpas like me to the street? Oh, and as a post script, please feel free to make fun of my inquiries, as both positive and negative feedback is always aprreciated, and most likely helpful for me or anyone else that reads this, if just for the simple amusement. :-) Thanks :-), Kirkula
Advertisement
It's never too late. If you like it, you'll be good at it.
No, you're not. I don't know why people keep asking, to be honest. Is this a big deal in other sectors? I've never seen it myself. Skills aside, I don't think anybody cares about your age; they care about your attitude.

PS. I joined the game industry when I was 28.
To qualify my experience, I was always interested in programming, had always done it as a hobby, but never got a job doing it until I was 25. I'm 32 now and just got myself a job with a large portland based company, with a near 6 figure salary :)
Quote:Original post by Kylotan
I don't think anybody cares about your age; they care about your attitude.

Not entirely true, I'm 16 and most people boot me off projects after they find out (even if I've already done some of the work), but that's the opposite end of the scale.

Sounds promising so far, but by the looks of it, you all started learning at a much younger age. I just got out of 'Hello, world!' last week, so by the time I'm entry level, I'll be 35 most likely, juggling school and work. If you know of anyone else that has achieved this feat at this age, or any future poster happens to have started at the same time as me, bring my hopes up over the edge!

First off, you are never too old to start coding.
Since you already did programming before you can quickly grasp new technologies.
I agree with Kylotan. It's your attitude and skills that are important then your age.

Good Luck!
Hi!

I think the real question is if it's too late to start programming at 28. I think not. One does not have to be as hardcore as some years ago. Today it's easier than ever to make a game. Maybe start by hello world and then not too much later you're doing a XBLA-game (Xbox Live Arvade, xbox-360 distribution channels for homebrew games) using XNA. Then it's down to good ideas and your ability to work in a team. This you might already have experience with!

To make a triple-A game in C++ is another matter but if you want to go there as well, you can. But just do whatever is fun and possible and work from there!

Remember; Small teams means more fun. And that often means smaller games!
You hit the nail right on the head, breakin. To be quite honest, though, reading up on XNA is what got me re-interested in programming after 20 some odd years. Mainly the monetary gains you can supposedly achieve through it $-) haha. But I kid (somewhat), and I can't wait till I see my name in the credits of Halo 9!!!! (yes I can, Halo sucks...)
another "no, you're not too old" reply here. personally a little maturity helps things. 28 is young!!
http://www.fotofill.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement