Am I to old to start?

Started by
36 comments, last by Maveryck 15 years, 7 months ago
Kirkula:

To put your mind at ease...I'm 42 and looking to move into game programming, which is what has led me this site. Don't let age be the deciding factor of pursuing a goal, dream, career change or whatever. I learned programming at 39 and prior to that worked as a healthcare administrator, managing urgent care clinics.

And now the "how do I..." question --

I've been a programmer now for three years, coding in Java primarily and have been learning C++, over the last few months. For those experience game programmers out there, how much gaming knowledge do I need to write code for games?

I understand the concepts from my own readings of various textbooks & articles, but it doesn't answer the question. I'm hesitant to stick my resume out there, given that I have nil experience in game programming, aside from simple 2d games I've tinkered around with, and they're not something I would put onto a demo reel and only show close friends. Think Pong - Atari late 1970s.

I'm not too keen on the idea of returning to school to obtain another degree, specifically in game programming. I've reviewed the curriculums of various programs and some of it is old territory. Being that I'm already a programmer, how much of a leap am I'm making going from developing window & web applications to games?

Any advice and insight is appreciated, Thanks.
Don't be pushed by your problems. Be led by your dreams.
Advertisement
passion is all you need :)
Quote:Original post by Kirkula
At 28 years old, is that to late to try to get into the business? I AM going to go to school pretty soon, and definately will take these courses as I would love to have this knowledge for a hobby at the least, but if it's to late for me, it'll be a minor.

Only you can really answer that.

Do you have the passion that it takes to learn what you will have to learn to program games?

You can not count on school to provide all the knowledge you need. You will have to apply what you've learned and be willing to learn additional stuff on your own.

To put it into perspective, people are going back to school at 50 or 60, and starting new businesses well into retirement age.

Quote:Original post by Maveryck
To put your mind at ease...I'm 42 and looking to move into game programming, which is what has led me this site. Don't let age be the deciding factor of pursuing a goal, dream, career change or whatever. I learned programming at 39 and prior to that worked as a healthcare administrator, managing urgent care clinics.

Whew! I don't feel so old now. :)

I'm kinda in the same boat. I'm doing 'game-ish' type programming in the simulations market, and looking to move back into the game industry.

Check out Super Play, the SNES inspired Game Engine: http://www.superplay.info

Maveryck, Although I'm a lot younger then you, 30, I'm in the same situation. I've been programming Java for about 10 years now for a living. Mostly business apps and websites.
Now I want to see if I can get into game programming. Preferably I would like to do it in Java, since I know this language very well and I don't really feel like starting over.

I've been doing some tinkering with simple 2d stuff, tetris, a side scroller mario clone stuff like that. Now I've finally taken the big leap of setting up a project where I'm building a 3D RPG game. While I'm currently working on the back end of the map system (storing / loading stuff from a database) the actual rendering is right around the corner.

I already have one person willing to help out, but you'd be more then welcome to join up, three heads are better then two and more clichés like that...

Since the game is still in the very early stages I'm hesitant to post stuff about it here, send me a PM if interested and I'll send you the goods.
Quote:Original post by Kylotan
No, you're not. I don't know why people keep asking, to be honest. Is this a big deal in other sectors? I've never seen it myself. Skills aside, I don't think anybody cares about your age; they care about your attitude.

PS. I joined the game industry when I was 28.
It can be quite intimidating coming from a small town where the highest level computer class offered at your high school was in pascal. Waste 2 years at University declared as "engineering undecided", switching to CSE for 2 years which seems like something you want to do but just doesn't feel right. Before finally snapping out of a funk one day at 22 and realizing what you really what you want to do with your life.

Just to find out that there are 15 year old kids better at it than you could hope to be for at least 2 years.

... not that ... not that I would know anything about that ... uh ... hehe ...
Quote:Original post by Kirkula
I'll be turning 28 next month, and just started to relearn programming. When I was a kid, I used to make simple text based games on my commodore 64 (ouch, I'm old).

You're pretty much half my age. Game development isn't the freakin' Olympics. The only sign you're too old is when yer rheumatiz makes it hard for you sit and program for hours.

Feh. Gerroff my lawn.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

Quote:Original post by Maveryck
I've been a programmer now for three years, coding in Java primarily and have been learning C++, over the last few months. For those experience game programmers out there, how much gaming knowledge do I need to write code for games?

This much: |------------------------|

There aren't units for measuring knowledge, as far as I'm aware. Once you've written your first game, you have proven that you have enough knowledge to write that game. Until then, who knows whether you truly know enough? You may believe you do, but people are well known for overestimating their own competence.

Quote:I understand the concepts from my own readings of various textbooks & articles, but it doesn't answer the question. I'm hesitant to stick my resume out there, given that I have nil experience in game programming, aside from simple 2d games I've tinkered around with, and they're not something I would put onto a demo reel and only show close friends. Think Pong - Atari late 1970s.

You're not going to be able to make up for the absence of a demo with anything you can put on a resumé. Put those concepts you claim to understand to use, and make something worth showing.

Quote:Being that I'm already a programmer, how much of a leap am I'm making going from developing window & web applications to games?

It's a significant leap, but not an immense one. You must try it for yourself.
Never too old or too young.
Quote:Original post by Bregma
The only sign you're too old is when yer rheumatiz makes it hard for you sit and program for hours.

If you have a wireless keyboard and a large enough monitor, you can even code from the bed, so sitting in a chair is not actually a pre-requisite for programming.

Anyway, age is not a problem if you're passionate with your work.

Nothing is more rewarding than seeing your own work (especially a game) providing enjoyment and feeling of accomplishment to someone else, and this is what I strive to achieve when I write software. This is also the motivation that I recommend new programmers to seek above anything else.

Niko Suni

Like most have said, age is not really a factor. I just turned 32 a few months ago and still have not really 'started in the game industry'. I'm in my 2nd year of school for a game software development degree and I work full time as a software engineer for a telecommunications company. My plan is to finish school in just under 2 more years and have my degree plus around 8 years of on the job development experience and THEN really pushing into the games industry. Personally I don't think age plays much of a role in the decision making unless it's much older than I am. For an assignment in school I had to do a research paper on age discrimination. It is still a big part of the US but it mainly affects those who are getting close to the retirement age (50's+) and those who work in a physically demanding field. Even then it's not impossible if you have the drive and optimism.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement