Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Loading .bmp files

This topic is 6036 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What up everyone. I am having some trouble loading in .bmp files, and wondering if I could obtain some help. I am using a type ''ifstream'' from fstream.h to load in bitmap data, but I am getting an error stating that the ''>>'' operator is not overloaded to handle windows .bmp files. does anyone know of any alternative ways for reading in bitmaps? I would like to learn new ways for reading in files. thanks Edem Attiogbe

I created an image loader class which does the following:

1) load 8 and 24 bits BMP''s (8 bits images are converted to 24 bits)

2) load 8, 24 and 32 bits targa''s (8 bits as a grayscale image)

3) load 24 bits JPEG''s (using Intel JPEG library)

4) load 8 and 24 bits PCX files (8 is automaticly converted to 24 bits).

I created this class to upload textures to OpenGL, but it can be used for allmost everything I guess. If you''re interested post your e-mail adress and I''ll send it to you as soon as I''ve translated the whole thing to english :-)

Thanks a whole bunch sysmark. Actually, I think I am in the process of figuring out exactly how I want to load in my bitmaps using the CreateFile and ReadFile Win 32 functions. I would still like to see the work that you did. my email address is:

Kattiogbe@aol.com

once again, thanks a lot for your help. I really appriciate it.

Edem Attiogbe

.PCX files are just compressed bitmaps. The 8 bit loader I wrote myself, the 24 bits loader I wrote using a code that Telemachos from Peroxide sent me (when I was still coding SVGA Dos games using VESA :-) The compression used is RLE (Run Length Encoding). That means that if you have a runlength of the same values it''s packed into two. For an 8 bits image that would look like this:

uncompressed: 58 58 58 58 58
compressed: 5 58

A 24 bits image is a little harder to decompress, because it works with color layers. This means that each line in the file is first stored like this:

RRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGBBBBBBBBB

and is then run-length encoded in the same way as an 8 bits image. I''ll send the loader to you as soon as I''ve translated all the comments from dutch to english.