• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CoolMike

file reading

This topic is 6250 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am trying to write a function that will simply read a list of names out of a text file and place them into an array. It all seems to work fine when I put the following function in my game, but the game crashes as soon as it is finished. The function does finish though, and I want to know if anyone else could look at this and see why it still crashes. Thanks in advance, Mike //GLOBALS & DEFINES #define num_names 64 char names[num_names][32]; //THE LOADING FUNCTION void loadNames(char *text) { char c; int i, //i = counts through each name j; //j = counts through each ASCII symbol/letter bool nextName = false, eoffound = false; FILE *stream, *debugFile; stream = fopen( text, "r+" ); debugFile = fopen( "debug.txt", "w+" ); fseek( stream, 0, SEEK_SET ); fseek( debugFile, 0, SEEK_SET ); for(i=0; i[j] = c; //*_strlwr(&c); j++; //print debug info to file if(c==''\n'') fprintf( debugFile, "\n"); else if(eoffound==true) fprintf( debugFile, "*"); else fprintf( debugFile, "%c", c); } if(eoffound==true) break; nextName = false; } fclose( stream ); fclose( debugFile ); } ---------------------- The "stars.txt" file is just a list of names. Just copy and paste the list into notepad and save as "stars.txt". stars.txt ---------------------- Sol Alpha Centauri Orion Telos Siat Mantago San Soven PRX 790 Mutaba ----------------------

Advertisement
Okay, I assume you have tried this in another program to test it, yes ?
If you haven''t then it would be a good idea.
It seems to be in order, from a quick look.

FYI, I always use the fstream set of commands with file stuff- its reasonably easy.
~V''lion

I came, I saw, I got programmers block.
~V''''lion

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!