[.net] .NET/C# 3.0 From the command line?

Started by
6 comments, last by mutex 15 years, 7 months ago
Hello, I'm trying to find the exe that would allow me to compile 3.0 code at the command line. There is a csc.exe for 1.1 and 2.0, but I've just installed the .NET framework 3.0 and didn't find a new csc.exe. Is it called something else? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, L-
"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't." -Pete Seegerwww.lucid-edge.net
Advertisement
get .net 3.5 , had no clue the compilers were shipped with .net framework on top of being shipped with vstudio but if so it's prolly there (C# 3 was released alongside .net 3.5 not 3.0 , afaik .net 3.0 was still for C#2)
The versioning around .NET is immensely confusing, but basically:

.NET 2.0 = 2.0 compilers + 2.0 libraries.

.NET 3.0 = 2.0 compilers + 2.0 libraries + 3.0 libraries.

.NET 3.5 = 3.5 compilers + 2.0 libraries + 3.0 libraries + 3.5 libraries.

Thus, if you only have .NET 3.0, then your C# compiler is in \Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727. You have to move to .NET 3.5 before you get a new compiler in Framework\v3.5.

Quote:Original post by ranakor
get .net 3.5 , had no clue the compilers were shipped with .net framework on top of being shipped with vstudio but if so it's prolly there (C# 3 was released alongside .net 3.5 not 3.0 , afaik .net 3.0 was still for C#2)

It's kind of cool, actually. The standard .NET runtime includes compilers for C#, VB.NET, and JScript.NET.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Quote:Original post by capn_midnight

It's kind of cool, actually. The standard .NET runtime includes compilers for C#, VB.NET, and JScript.NET.
Yep, obligatory System.CodeDom.Compiler link. [smile]

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

Quote:Original post by benryves

Yep, obligatory System.CodeDom.Compiler link. [smile]

Well, I was specifically talking about the consumer runtime installation including the actual executables for compiling applications from source, CSC.EXE for C#, VBC.EXE for VB, and JSC.EXE for JScript.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

I also find the msbuild.exe that is bundled with the .NET Framework to be extremely useful. It can be used to help compile VS solutions and projects without the need to open Visual Studio. Also, it can be used to batch script many different build processes. Heck, you could even use it to batch none programming tasks if you wanted. There's even a plug-in architecture to expand the tools functionality...

MSBuild Overview
Quote:Original post by Billr17

I also find the msbuild.exe that is bundled with the .NET Framework to be extremely useful. It can be used to help compile VS solutions and projects without the need to open Visual Studio. Also, it can be used to batch script many different build processes. Heck, you could even use it to batch none programming tasks if you wanted. There's even a plug-in architecture to expand the tools functionality...

MSBuild Overview
I'm not so fond of the format of MSBuild projects, but yes, it's quite powerful. I have an MSBuild script that auto-checks out a project from Subversion, runs a custom tool to update the version number, then builds and packages it as both .zip and .msi.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement