How to make and object move with the world. OpenGL

Started by
8 comments, last by Acer722 22 years, 10 months ago
Today I was working on a flight simulator. I have added a bunch of features. Here are the keys: Up arrow : foreward Left Arrow : left Right Arrow : right Down Arrow : back A : tilt left S : tilt right Q : move up W : move down Page Up : tilt up Page Down tilt down It works really nicely but the problem is I want the camera to move with the airplane so that the airplane is 5 units out in front of the camera at all times. How do I do that?
Any game programmer can make games. Real programmers can finish them.
Advertisement
it would help to know what api ur using.

life is unfair, take advantage of it.
UNMB2 - if the link doesn''t work, try clicking it
life is unfair, take advantage of it.UNMB2 - if the link doesn't work, try clicking it :)
I am using OpenGL
quote:Original post by thuned
it would help to know what api ur using.

You mean you didnt read the topic of this thread?
It clearly says "OpenGL"
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
Does anybody know how to move the camera with the object with object being a little bit ahead of the camera. Also how do minipulate one object, ie rotate or translate, while I the other object doesn''t move.
um wouldnt you just use the input from they keyboard when u are tilting or turning and apply that to the camera also?
A = airplanes position
D = direction airplane is looking
gluLookAt( A.x - D.x*zoom, A.y - D.y*zoom, A.z - D.z*zoom, A.x, A.y, A.z, 0,1,0 );

http://members.xoom.com/myBollux
Yes I knw your supposed to apply this camera movement when the object moves but how do I do that. Also does anyone know how to move just one object but make the other object still.
Well, I assume that you have the matrix of the viewpoint loaded into memory for this. But you can do something like this:

glPushMatrix();
glLoadIdentity();
glTranslatef(0, 0, -5);
DrawPlane();
glPopMatrix();

That will draw the airplane 5 units in front of you. If it doesn''t work, then you are probably doing things differently than me.
MaLordwww.malord.com
I know that draw the plane five unuts ahead of me. Here parts of my code:

GLfloat zpos; // Z position

-----------------------------

glTranslatef(0.0f,0.0f,zpos);

-----------------------------

if (keys[VK_UP])
{
zpos-=1.0f;
}

That moves the ariplane one unit a head of the camera if you press space bar. How would I make both the camera and the plane move one unit ahead if I press the space bar? I have been trying eveything. Also lets say I have a run way. I if I were to press the spacebar the runway would move one unit with the plane. How do I get just the plane to move.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement