OpenGL 3.0 canceled?

Started by
26 comments, last by Yann L 15 years, 8 months ago
glSDK
Rob Barris is on board as is Korval.
Advertisement
I'm admittedly lurking at this point til they have a shell up and running. I would like to write up some usage patterns for MapBufferRange and PBO/VBO.

Quote:Original post by MARS_999
glSDK
Rob Barris is on board as is Korval.

Let me know if I can help in any way..
Feel free to 'rate me down', especially when I prove you wrong, because it will make you feel better for a second....
Quote:Original post by stimarco
The games industry is acting like OpenGL is *just* for them. This is not the case and it's unfair on the other markets to throw a major tantrum just because Santa didn't bring what you asked for. Life is full of disappointments; deal with it.
OOI, what are the improvements in OpenGL 3 that are targetted at non-games use?

I mean, I've heard a lot of talk about problems in OpenGL 3 - if the counter-argument is that OpenGL is targetted at more than just games, there must be some super new features that they were spending their efforts on instead, right?

http://erebusrpg.sourceforge.net/ - Erebus, Open Source RPG for Windows/Linux/Android
http://conquests.sourceforge.net/ - Conquests, Open Source Civ-like Game for Windows/Linux

Quote:Original post by stimarco
I think it's clear that pragmatic issues forced the ARB's hand here. I'm guessing that simply dumping 2.x and starting afresh was unfeasible as it would require companies like ATI, NVidia and Intel to maintain both 2.x and 3.x drivers. As OpenGL is a niche API, this makes little sense: ATI, NVidia and Intel make their money from consumer graphics products, which means DirectX gets the bulk of the attention. Making OpenGL even harder to support over the near-term was never going to go down well with the IHVs.

Just out of curiosity, when a IHV releases new hardware, do they not have to implement drivers for DX 7/8/9/10? Else older games coded in DX7 will not work on newer hardware.
If you want a good laugh, visit this page and scroll down to "Status of Direct3D 10-28-98".

How the tables have turned....
Quote:Original post by GamerSg
Just out of curiosity, when a IHV releases new hardware, do they not have to implement drivers for DX 7/8/9/10? Else older games coded in DX7 will not work on newer hardware.

Microsoft provides a shim which layers older versions on the more recent, so IHVs don't have to support them all. Older titles run fast enough when emulated on newer hardware.
Michael, a little OT, but do you know if there is an ETA on NV_texture_cube_map_array driver support ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement