My capacitor fell off.

Started by
20 comments, last by Mithrandir 15 years, 8 months ago
I'd say solder it back on, and run your machine so that your motherboard is vertical. That way, if it does fall off, it will hopefully fall straight down and land in the bottom of the case (and avoid any fans on the way down). Depending on the orientation of the card, it might not even be possible for it to fall off.
Advertisement
Are you sure it wasn't that the front fell off?
Quote:Original post by reltham
Most likely the card will work without the capacitor.

It's probably a noise reducer put on to meet FCC.

I agree with him ^
Generally capcitors are used for nothing more than electric line smoothers. Chances are you can run fine without it.
-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert
Quote:Original post by Jarrod1937
Generally capcitors are used for nothing more than electric line smoothers. Chances are you can run fine without it.

Really? I thought that was electrolysis that did the whole line smoothing thing
Quote:Original post by Funkymunky
Quote:Original post by Jarrod1937

Really? I thought that was electrolysis that did the whole line smoothing thing

Actually, electrolysis doesn't occur in an electrolytic capacitor, unless there is a dielectric breakdown (mostly due to overvoltage or old age). The capacitor can explode in such a situation. Electrolysis is however used while manufacturing it.

But yeah, in digital circuits, caps are often used as noise filters. Your card may run without it, but it could produce interference with other devices, and be less stable (due to a component on the card being disturbed by non-filtered noise from the mainboard, from the card itself, or induced in the circuit traces by electromagnetic radiation).

In analogue circuits, capacitors do much more than simple noise filtering and smoothing. There's a (very small) analogue part on a graphics card, for the analogue VGA output signals.
actually i thought you guys were razzing me and i was completely joking. You're serious? I mean I don't really mind replacing it, I already ordered a GTX 260 from PNY, which I'm damn excited to receive... but you think its probably still okay to use?
Quote:Original post by Moe
Are you sure it wasn't that the front fell off?

well played - you just made my night!
This is not as bad as the time my flux capacitor fell off and left me in 1927. It was very hard to get the components for a new one.
Don't thank me, thank the moon's gravitation pull! Post in My Journal and help me to not procrastinate!
Quote:Original post by Funkymunky
actually i thought you guys were razzing me and i was completely joking. You're serious?

Ofcourse. As the others say. It's probably either for power line smoothing, noise removal on the ADC's or video DAC's. If it's for power smoothing you shouldn't have very big problems as long as your power supply is good enough. Video DAC shouldn't really be a problem either. The ADC's might be a problem if those are hit. At those extremely high frequencies the GPU core is running, no smoothing means that analog signals in the vicinity(temperature sensing, voltage measuring, etc) might be b0rkens. The GPU might see wrong measurements as a problem(if it actually works out to be a problem at all)
return it under warranty.

Everything is better with Metal.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement