Obtaining Populous(tm) Realism?

Started by
2 comments, last by JDog 22 years, 10 months ago
Currently I''m making a game and going over the design docs. One of my goals is to be able to run my game on back end computers.That means 3d acceleration out and max 2mb of video memory(of course if the system supports it I will implment 3d). I was wondering how in Populous(tm) for the pc they achieved that much realism just using direct draw, and make the game run at decent speeds.It had adjustable elevation, zooming in and out, and a great list of spells(Volcano was great). My test computer from the garage ran it great 233 mhertz MMX 32 Ram 2mb ATI RAGE II Graphics Card -Thanks For Your Time
Advertisement
When Populous was developed there wasn´t DirectDraw nor Windows 95!

Populous appeared when Sega Genesis//Megadrive did, back in... 1992?

It was one of the 2 games I first bought along with Golden Axe.

How did the achieve that speed? Being VERY clever 8).

Buy Isometric Game Programming and develop a good isometric engine. Isometrical view knowledge is full of "tricks",wether real 3D is more math like.

What the hells!
What the hells!
They did make a game for the pc, the engine was nothing like the one made for sega. It was made by Bull Frog if I remember. The terrain looks nothing like an isometric engine as it could change camera angles. I know the game supported direct draw because it ran on my garage computer really well. My garage computer has no 3d acceleration.

What was different I forgot to mention, is that they mapped it to a globe, rather then an x by x map.

-Still puzzled any ideas or url's?

Edited by - JDog on June 8, 2001 1:33:59 PM
If you''re talking about the most recent version of Populous released, Populous: The Beginning, they used 3d to do their stuff. They had a software renderer, which is why it would run on your computer without 3d acceleration, and on my laptop. They had support for Direct3D as well though. So ya, if you want to get your world up to that quality, you''re probably gonna need to do some 3d stuff.

Jonathan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement