Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wavinator

Modes / phases or simultaneous?

Let''s say you''ve got 2 distinctly different types of gameplay. For example, maybe it''s conversation and strategizing. Or maybe detailed action and grand scope decision making. Which do you think would work better? Having the different gameplay types broken down into modes or phases which are seperate and distinct, or having things occur simultaneously with an interface than summarizes and lets you switch between the forms of gameplay at will? A More Concrete Example: I''ve got a gameplay mechanic that involves ship to ship combat in space with boarding. Two distinct types of gameplay are arcade space combat and and squad-based RTS strategy during boarding. Option 1: Each battle occurs seperately and independently. When one is complete, the player can go on to the other. This is conceptually cleaner, but rules out cool things like EVA boarding during space battles or situations where one battle influences the other (blasting a bulkhead to capture the engine room, which then disables power on the enemy ship, for ex.) Option 2: Battles are simultaneous, and the player switches between maps. Each map gives a summary of what''s happening on the other map so the player''s always aware. Resources from one map can be used to affect the other, which makes the battle seem more holistic and complete. The main problem is that it doesn''t scale very well, so it''d be hard, for example, to fight ships and deal with boarding more than one enemy; modes or phases might make this less confusing because only one thing is happening at a time. Are there other options? Which do you think would be easier to understand and more enjoyable to play? -------------------- Just waiting for the mothership...

Hmm...I''m not sure about this one. My first reaction was that an obvious seperation could ruin immersion ''cause it would remind you you''re in a game. On the other hand, Sims do this frequently and it works ''cause that''s just the way the game is designed.

...A CRPG in development...

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.

Here''s my opinion. Using your example, when you command the space combat, the boarding ops can proceed, but will be controlled by AI. Vice versa, when you switch to control the boarding action, the space combat will be guided by, say, one of your officers in charge (AI again). You could even incorporate some RPG elements (No, no, no! No rpgs again! ) by having to choose (or even hire, etc) the commanding officers. Like if you choose a excellent gunner to control the space combat while you takeover a disabled enemy ship, it''s more likely the officer to go heavy on fire and little evade maneuvers. Same applies for the boarding officers.

Just some ideas...

Boby Dimitrov
boby@azholding.com