Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheRonin

Final Fantasy Tactics?

Hello, I have been wondering; would any of you consider Final fantasy tactics or Tactics ogre Isometric Engines? I have been planing to make a game like FFT and TO and was woundering what kind engine it is. Also I was wondering if I should use OpenGL? I want to have cool fog and weather effects, or are there better ones? Direct X 8 prehaps? One finds life through conquering the fear of death within one''''s mind. Empty the mind of all forms of attachment, make a go-for-broke charge and conquer the opponent with one decisive slash. - Togo Shigekata.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Hi,
I don''t think you should you ANYTHING being related to an isometric tile engine. You fare better with OGL oder DX8. Go
to http://nehe.gamedev.net for support on OGL...

Yes, I consider. In fact, I am in the design stage of a similar game. And yes, I''m using OpenGL. But what ultimately will define everything is your skill, not the api you''re using.

Gaiomard Dragon
-===(UDIC)===-

Yeah, it really doesn''t matter on which API you use really... some might take a LOAD of work of your back, but it all really comes down to the skills.

-Brin

Thank you very much for your comments.

One finds life through conquering the fear of death within one''''s mind. Empty the mind of all forms of attachment, make a go-for-broke charge and conquer the opponent with one decisive slash. - Togo Shigekata.

As i remember it, FFT (its for playstation, right?) is 3d - with a ISO-perspective and "feel" (for better or worse...)

It''s not an overly atractive game if you ask me.

But im pretty sure the suroundings are polys and the characters are Sprites.

=======================
Game project(s):
www.fiend.cjb.net

Oh yes I can''t wait for you to do that. Man I''m a fan of both Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre and one day plan to make my own RPG. For API I think you should use what your better at. I like both DirectX and OpenGl and usually make my programs to support both. I was wondering for your game are you going to make some kind of tool to allow making maps easier? Man I''m doing that right know with MFC and DX8 and it''s a real pain. Good luck on you game and I''m cheering you on.

Tactics Oger: "Let Us Cling Together!"
FFT : "Don''t Blame Us Blame Yourself or God."

Not sure yet. We are currently in the planning phase(well actually, we have begun to do some work on the programming and the graphics bit) It depends on if we decide if the editors we make are user friendly or not.

One finds life through conquering the fear of death within one''''s mind. Empty the mind of all forms of attachment, make a go-for-broke charge and conquer the opponent with one decisive slash. - Togo Shigekata.

Most Iso kind of game in the PSX uses 3D engine with 2D sprites.
They have 8 diffrent sprites facing at diffrent directions according to the camera rotation.
But basicly its a 3D game. The House/Trees are all 3D modeled.

To TheRonin: Please go on my website!

FFT is not just that simple 3d stuff, the design of the game-engine is really hefty! If you have real intressts in programm a similar game than write me please.

Heh, After looking through your message history in your profile, you seem to be really interested in games like FFT/TO/Vandal hearts. There are not too many people with the same interest are there?

The whole reason for me to even start to learn programming is because I love those types of games, I planed to maybe even make a company dedicated strictly to making games like FFT/TO.

Unfortunately the people I have been working with have disbanded as they did not hold the same interest. Im just a newbie programmer currently just starting to learn Visual studio C++ 6 and Open GL From a book I hope I didn''t get too many peoples hopes up? If I did, I apologize. I still plan to continue to try to make a game like FFT/TO but unfortunately I will have to gain some programming exp first. :mad:

My apologies

TheRonin

TheRonin-

I have to admire your ambitions. However, trying to make a FFT or TO clone right after learning basic coding and OGL is going to be next to impossible to do.

I actually know what you''re trying to do, cause I did the same thing. About 2 years ago I seriously got into coding and APIs (directX back then) and tried to make an RPG game. However, in 2 years I''ve come a long way...

Actually, since not many people do this kind of game development, anything you do will be unique, which can make it much more fun. Good luck in your coding.

-Hyren

"Back to the code mines... ka-chink... ka-chink..."
vidgamez.iwarp.com

Thank you for your support Hyren

A game like Final Fantasy Tactics, with its main focus being strategy, can be a lot easier to make than a full blown RPG(little or no concerns for items(in a strategy game they are easier to implement), loading of huge maps, locks/keys, complicated NPC scripts and so on). But there''s a huge focus on AI.

Gaiomard Dragon
-===(UDIC)===-

Hey TheRonin-

I just read my last post over again, and I realized that seemed really negative, like you couldn''t do it at all.

I really didn''t mean for it to seem like that, it just will be very hard to do. However, if you really want to do it, I''ll bet that you''ll find a way to make it happen.

The road to take is probably work on a smaller demo, like just the landscape part, then add in characters, then objects (like treasures/trees) and then maybe work on other things you want to add in.

Sorry if it seemed like I was being a pessimist there. :-)

-Hyren

"Back to the code mines... ka-chink... ka-chink..."
vidgamez.iwarp.com

Hyren- Forgive me if I seemed like I was being sarcastic, But I actually did mean to say thank you for your support. I do know that programming is quite hard, and working on an project alone is quite the challenge, but you were right however, I just want you to know that I tend to look at things realistically, and your post by no means seemed offensive.

I am actually picking up the visual C++ basics quite well by the way. Im learning from the "Teach your self Visual studio C++ 6.0 in 21 days" book.

I was wondering if you or anyone else could tell me of other great books I could learn visual Studio 6.0 programming from?
any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thank you

TheRonin

Guest Anonymous Poster
I would highly reccomend that you simply hit up www.codeproject.com and www.codeguru.com for plain windows programming. They both offer a wealth of knowledge in nearly every aspect of windows.

Umm..... I don''t reccomend getting that book, unless it''s too late. You should probably get a book that focuses on C++ syntax, like Jesse Liberty''s "Teach Yourself C++ in 24 hours". From there you can pretty much move on to anything else. You could read Tips and Tricks of the Windows Game Programming gurus. That wouldn''t teach you about 3d API''s, but it would help you with all the other stuff like sound and input...... simpler stuff that might be a better thing to learn first.

-Forcas

"Elvis is alive. He is Barney the purple dinosaur. He is the pied piper that leads our children into the wages of sin and eternal damnation."

BTW.... I think there are more tactics RPG fans than you think. I can''t wait for Hoshigami and Saiyuki.

-Forcas

"Elvis is alive. He is Barney the purple dinosaur. He is the pied piper that leads our children into the wages of sin and eternal damnation."

There already creating a Final Fantasy Tactics clone game Maker (think RPGmaker2K) using C++.

http://cgi.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.asp?board=20051&topic=944996
Thats the Gamefaqs FFTactics message board, topic is Tactics Maker.

Balbanes -- Heavenly Knight -- Ultima Warrior

Living true to your heart is the warriors way...

To Balbanes:
Have you guys already made up some code or are there just 'ideas'? This Message Board Thread (MBT) from which you doest speak, seems not to be a good place for such a great project. Are you one of the developer of that 'Tactics Maker' Project? Why is there no sensible website?

*grrrrrr*

Btw here is a screenshot from what i had done so far:

Edited by - Jonus on July 11, 2001 4:25:32 PM

Wow cool screenshot. You made that all by yourself?? wow!

Naw im not a game developer, so im not working on it. Nor am I affiliated with them in any way.

Ya see, they made that message so they could get a idea of what things people wanted in Tactics Maker. So far, everything there doing (its a team of 4 college dudes) seems very proffesional. I guess they have started coding now cause they stopped asking for more ideas.

These guys just started a few weeks ago, so lets give them a break. Since they just started they havent had time to create a website yet, but im sure theyll make one soon. But I still would like some proof that they are working on the code...

Im a hardcore FFtactics fan, so thats why I really want to see Tactics Maker complete!

Balbanes -- Heavenly Knight -- Ultima Warrior

quote:
Original post by Balbanes
Wow cool screenshot. You made that all by yourself?? wow!
Yeah i did this all by my self, thanks . Its arround my 1000st try to programm FFT. After that i come up to the point where i should make my 'game design' and then my 'class design'.
D3D is only the 'frontend'.

quote:

Naw im not a game developer, so im not working on it. Nor am I affiliated with them in any way.

Ya see, they made that message so they could get a idea of what things people wanted in Tactics Maker. So far, everything there doing (its a team of 4 college dudes) seems very proffesional. I guess they have started coding now cause they stopped asking for more ideas.

These guys just started a few weeks ago, so lets give them a break. Since they just started they havent had time to create a website yet, but im sure theyll make one soon. But I still would like some proof that they are working on the code...

Im a hardcore FFtactics fan, so thats why I really want to see Tactics Maker complete!
Yes me too :D.

quote:
Balbanes says this to Ramza before he dies - right?

Edited by - Jonus on July 12, 2001 4:03:59 AM