Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DirectPlay Command Line GUID?

This topic is 6028 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

There is an existing application (gamespy) that launches a game (Age of Empires 2) and the command line looks like this: C:\games\aoe2\empires2 lobby /dplay_ipc_guid{7BEBFE7BA0-628D-11D2-AE0F-006097B01411} So I assume, that this application is passing on a DirectPlay connection? This guid is not in my registry, so where is it? I can make my own directplay connections, how do I find this information to pass on to this game so it can use them? Any Help on how this works would be appreciated, Thank you.

I''m not sure I quite understand your question, but I will take a stab at it.

The GUID is used as the identifier for the Direct Play application. Direct Play uses the GUID to connect to the "proper" clients and servers for an application. For example, peers only connect to other peers with the same GUID, or ID. This keeps applications from trying to "talk" to the wrong app. The GUID is actually embedded in your code; therefore, you don''t see it in the registry (unless you decide to store it there.)

From the looks of it (I didnt write the gamespy code, so you never know,) gamespy is using the lobby interface for Age of Empires. Direct Play games can be programmed to be launched by a Direct Play lobby. When your game is lobbyable, it can be launched by a lobby app. How you do this is determined by the version of DirectX you are using.

For more information, I recommend you check out the DX8 SDK documentation. It has information about lobbies.

Hope that helps.

LostLogic
www.lostlogic.com
Author, Multiplayer Game Programming

That helps. Atleast I know which direction to go. I was trying to connect via a staged peer app I created. I''m not quite sure how a lobby works, But I''ll check it out. Again thank you very much one thing confusing me is that the GUID is not that of empires, but of something else and its different every session. hmm, Well I''ll take a stab at it. Thanks again.