What is the best music softtware for my needs?

Started by
5 comments, last by Neverender 15 years, 7 months ago
I've got an midi controller keyboard. I've got an Xfi fatality soundblaster card with the front port for putting in stuff like microphones or an electric guitar. I've also got garritan personal orchestra, but found that this program only plays the sounds and gives me no way of arranging or recording them. So i'm asking; 1. What would be the best tool to pair with garritan to reocord and mix the sounds it's offers. 2. What software program do I need to make my soundcard function as a computer based guitar amp, so that I can record off my electric guitar directly to the computer? 3. Is there any other software I would need to make orchestral music, especially the incorporation of vocal choirs if possible?
Advertisement
I don't know about the guitar or vocal stuff, but...

I use the GPO as well. It comes bundled with a sequencer called Overture, which has a traditional notation (i.e. sheet music) interface. From there, you can download a program called GPO Studio that can host up to 64 sampled voices at a time. Overture feeds straight into it, so you can playback what you write, and even record it straight to a stereo .WAV file. The GPO Studio also has an nifty built in Ambience Reverb plug-in that kicks all kind of ass.

From Overture's track window, you can edit the panning of each instrument or group, so you don't have to record each track at a time into a multitrack program and then adjust it manually. It's quite handy!

If you got the version of GPO that comes on four CD-ROMs, Overture should be on the fourth disc. Don't bother installing the GPO Studio from that disc, since the most recent version will overwrite it anyway. You can download GPO Studio and the latest patches here: http://www.garritan.com/downloads.html

If there are any technical problems, register on the Garritan forums. Here's a direct link to the Support forum, which sorted out a glitch of mine recently. http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43

Click the link in my signature. Everything you hear was done by scoring in Overture, having the GPO Studio open, and recording the playback. It is possible to get the whole thing pretty much automated. It takes a bit of time adjusting things here and there, but once it's set up you'll never look back.
_____________________Brian Timmons, ComposerMy Music
1: You have to look for a sequencer. There are several options and most of them are mainly equal. You can pick the one you like. A few options are: Cubase, Sonar Cakewalk, Ableton, Fruity Loops. Most of them have trial versions so you can check what you like

2: You can do that as well with the sequencer since it can handle both midi and audio.

3: There are a large variety of libraries and going from normal price till very expensive. A good serie of affordable libraries are products from East West Quantum Leaps, Miroslav or Kirk Hunter.

Composer and Sound Designer

http://www.jaapvisser.com

The sequencers Jaap mentioned are good, but the advantage to using Overture is that since you own GPO, you already have it. No extra cost! Just something to keep in mind.
That is a good suggestion from Brain. I missed that in his post...(just got back from a studio job and not reading well. Sorry!) How is overture for running other vst instruments and working with audio?

Composer and Sound Designer

http://www.jaapvisser.com

Jaap,

It depends on what version you're running. The version of Overture that comes bundled with GPO is 3.5 SE. It will only work with the Garritan library. However, Overture 4.0 will work with any VST on the market, and I think the price is comparable to pretty much everything else out there.

Eventually I'm looking to get Overture 4.0 and the East West Platinum Symphonic libraries for that reason. I like working with notation instead that blocky MIDI piano roll. In the meantime, GPO and Overture 3.5 SE are doing just fine for my needs now.
Another host to check out is REAPER, brought to you by Nullsoft alumni (Justin Frankel et al., creators of Winamp).

It's lightweight, has an unencumbered demo version available, and is priced nicely.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement