Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

loading verts from ascii files into arrays (milkshape)

This topic is 6030 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm having some problems with this. Before, for each vertex I had a struct as such type vertex { float x, y, z, u, v; } type normal { float x, y, z; } type face { short i1, i2, i3; } and for each vertex and normal in the file I'd allocate sizeof(normal) * n_normals and likewise for the verts, and it worked just fine, but I decided to use vertex arrays and at someones suggestion I did this float *vertex; float *normal; float *texcoords short *face Allocated each as vertex = sizeof(vertex) * n_vertex * 3, likewise for normals, and * 2 for the texcoords. Milkshapes ascii files are structured like this: vertices: 2 1 0.3547, 3.3475, -1.4623, 1.346, 0.3467 -1 Where the 5 floats are x, y, z, u, v and the normals are normal: 5 0.57433, 0.45873, 0.2366 the faces are face: 15 0 1 2 0 1 2 where the first 3 are the indices to the verts, the second 3 are the indices to the normals, but theyre always the same as the verts so I ignore them. Here are the loops that read from the file
		for (ii = 0; ii < Model->Mesh.VertexCount; ii++)
		{
			fgets(LineBuffer, 256, File);
			sscanf(LineBuffer, "%hd %f %f %f %f %f %hd", &Temp, &Model->Mesh[i].Vertex[ii * 3], &Model->Mesh[i].Vertex[ii * 3 + 1], &Model->Mesh[i].Vertex[ii * 3 + 2], &Model->Mesh[i].TexCoord[ii * 2], &Model->Mesh[i].TexCoord[ii * 2 + 1], &Temp);
		}

for (ii = 0; ii < Model->Mesh[i].NormalCount; ii++)
		{
			sscanf(LineBuffer, "%f %f %f", &Model->Mesh[i].Normal[ii * 3], &Model->Mesh[i].Normal[ii * 3 + 1], &Model->Mesh[i].Normal[ii * 3 + 2]);
		}

for (ii = 0; ii < Model->Mesh[i].FaceCount; ii++)
		{
			sscanf(LineBuffer, "%hd %hd %hd %hd %hd", &Temp, &Model->Mesh[i].Face[ii * 3], &Model->Mesh[i].Face[ii * 3 + 1], &Model->Mesh[i].Face[ii * 3 + 2], &Temp);
		}

If anyone can spot the problem I'd very much appreciate it, I can't seem to get it working. ------------ - outRider - Edited by - outRider on June 8, 2001 12:10:26 AM

quote:

Allocated each as vertex = sizeof(vertex) * n_vertex * 3, likewise for normals, and * 2 for the texcoords

That should be "sizeof(float)" if each vertex-component is represented as a float (sizeof(vertex) would equal sizeof(float)*3 since your ''vertex''-structs are declared as containing 3 floats (x, y, z)).

For the tex-coords it should be "sizeof(short) * n_texcoords * 2".

If the file containing the vertex data (etc.) contains commas between the elements shouldn''t the sscanf call also have them?

ex.

to read the line (your example line for normals):
0.57433, 0.45873, 0.2366

sscanf should be called as:

sscanf(LineBuffer, "%f, %f, %f", &Model->Mesh[i].Normal[ii * 3], &Model->Mesh[i].Normal[ii * 3 + 1], &Model->Mesh[i].Normal[ii * 3 + 2]);

Not sure about this though, I seldom use scanf myself...

Sorry, those are both typos in the post, that's not the case in my actual source, I was just lazy.

There are no commas in the text file, and there is no type vertex anymore (when I did use the vertex struct everything worked fine, but then it wouldnt be a usable array for glVertexPointer()) and sizeof() is passed float.

I can post the drawing code if it would help, maybe theres a prob there.

------------
- outRider -

Edited by - outRider on June 9, 2001 1:27:32 AM