Indie Games site Banner Exchange

Started by
17 comments, last by cliffski 22 years, 10 months ago
Yes, I am the weird Smugglers guy.

My companies website: www.nielsbauergames.com

Advertisement
Im sorry you think I am ignorant or arrogant, but you act as though I have just stormed into your house and insulted your family! All I have done is indicate that I would like to start a banner exchange with similar developers. That dosen''t have to include you, and if you arent interested fine, feel free to set up a system of your own.
If you look at indie games websites, i would say 90% of them are badly done, poorly maintained and have no playable finished games that people will actually buy. This is the nature of hobby games development, 95% of hobby games get abandoned without ever getting finished.
I''m not referring to your site, and never have done, and I am more than happy for people to keep on setting up websites for games in development, and to basically do whatever they want.
This is a classic case of people bickering amongst themselves who should be sticking together. Indie developers need to help each other out if they are to compete with the big boys. That might mean banenr exchanges, posting advice to the gamedev boards, or other stuff.
Its sad that when someone on here tries to be constructive and implies that we (as indie developers) should strive to have good quality finished games and good websites, people just take it as an insult.
Oh well

http://www.positech.co.uk
>>Im sorry you think I am ignorant or arrogant, but you act as though I have just stormed into your house and insulted your family!
That wasnt you?

>>All I have done is indicate that I would like to start a banner exchange with similar developers. That dosen''t have to include you, and if you arent interested fine, feel free to set up a system of your own.
Well I think you basically said my site wasn''t up to your standards

>>If you look at indie games websites, i would say 90% of them are badly done, poorly maintained and have no playable finished games that people will actually buy. This is the nature of hobby games development, 95% of hobby games get abandoned without ever getting finished.

Somewhat true I agree, most people just like the initial puppy love of a project. But in some cases there''s other issues like time, money, etc.

>>I''m not referring to your site, and never have done

Well you did in a round about sorta way.

>>This is a classic case of people bickering amongst themselves who should be sticking together. Indie developers need to help each other out if they are to compete with the big boys. That might mean banenr exchanges, posting advice to the gamedev boards, or other stuff.

I normally don''t like to bicker, but when you offer to link to someone''s page and do a favour for them and they dont return thanks but instead talk about site standards..... well you know.

>>Its sad that when someone on here tries to be constructive and implies that we (as indie developers) should strive to have good quality finished games and good websites, people just take it as an insult.

Of course we can look at it as US against the big boys. But really among ourselves as shareware developers there are different leagues. Just like how you and jester have these high standards, there is probably another group of people with not as high profile games/site who are saying "I want to compete with them" referring to you guys. Really if there is shareware people to be helped, they should be helped. I''m all for making money for yourselves and all, and living off your earnings, but just remember there are other people who will need to be helped, and how can people say they wont help others when they have needed help to get where they are today?
The point of all this is, dont forget how you got where you are today, try and make some money for yourselves and dont forget to brush your teeth before you goto bed.
Some advice for getting hits. Instead of relying on other sites to push people to you, make your site pull people. One way of doing this is to have constant updates, message boards, etc. I might be Australian, but that doesn''t mean I don''t eat canned tuna.
-Jason Starr-

---------------
Freeze Software
---------------
>>Im sorry you think I am ignorant or arrogant, but you act as though I have just stormed into your house and insulted your family!
That wasnt you?

>>All I have done is indicate that I would like to start a banner exchange with similar developers. That dosen''t have to include you, and if you arent interested fine, feel free to set up a system of your own.
Well I think you basically said my site wasn''t up to your standards

>>If you look at indie games websites, i would say 90% of them are badly done, poorly maintained and have no playable finished games that people will actually buy. This is the nature of hobby games development, 95% of hobby games get abandoned without ever getting finished.

Somewhat true I agree, most people just like the initial puppy love of a project. But in some cases there''s other issues like time, money, etc.

>>I''m not referring to your site, and never have done

Well you did in a round about sorta way.

>>This is a classic case of people bickering amongst themselves who should be sticking together. Indie developers need to help each other out if they are to compete with the big boys. That might mean banenr exchanges, posting advice to the gamedev boards, or other stuff.

I normally don''t like to bicker, but when you offer to link to someone''s page and do a favour for them and they dont return thanks but instead talk about site standards..... well you know.

>>Its sad that when someone on here tries to be constructive and implies that we (as indie developers) should strive to have good quality finished games and good websites, people just take it as an insult.

Of course we can look at it as US against the big boys. But really among ourselves as shareware developers there are different leagues. Just like how you and jester have these high standards, there is probably another group of people with not as high profile games/site who are saying "I want to compete with them" referring to you guys. Really if there is shareware people to be helped, they should be helped. I''m all for making money for yourselves and all, and living off your earnings, but just remember there are other people who will need to be helped, and how can people say they wont help others when they have needed help to get where they are today?
The point of all this is, dont forget how you got where you are today, try and make some money for yourselves and dont forget to brush your teeth before you goto bed.
Some advice for getting hits. Instead of relying on other sites to push people to you, make your site pull people. One way of doing this is to have constant updates, message boards, etc. I might be Australian, but that doesn''t mean I don''t eat canned tuna.
-Jason Starr-

---------------
Freeze Software
---------------
---------------Freeze Software---------------
Ok. I''ll give it a try. Count me in.

Banner picture: http://www.nbsd.de/Smugglers/images/banner.gif
E-mail: contact@nbsd.de

Btw. I am still looking for a second artist or a Windows CE programmer.

Take care,
Niels
Something wrong with the forum? The post above was from me. Don''t know why it doesn''t show the name.

My companies website: www.nielsbauergames.com

afad
afad

afad

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement