Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ProEdit

This topic is 6031 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

On my system, Win98, Dx8, G400, PII 400, Latest PR from the FTP, after opening and closing ProEdit twice it causes a crash that reboots my computer. This same problem happened on an earlier version and Chris gave a few lines of code to add that would free some things that weren''t being freed. I checked and in the new code those lines are already there. None the less, I recompiled to make sure my exe isn''t corrupt and I still get the same result. I think there is a memory leak inside ProEdit. BTW: Opening and closing ProEdit multiple times is crutial because I often need to setup and convert a series of 3ds objects to the pro format. The thing is, I must close ProEdit each time because even though I select new scene, the textures and materials are NOT completely freed and next time I load a 3ds the materials are completely messed up. The only way to get ProEdit to actaully correctly load another 3ds file is to close and reopen it. It may be that these two problems are related. Has anyone else had this problem? Gary

Hi Gary

My system is a Win98 SE , DX8 , Geforce256 SDR, AMD Athlon 1GHZ, PR 4 Beta6.

Yes I do have problems with the ProEditor when I open and close it several times I get the dhelp message thing that pops up and have to do a reboot.

My biggest complaint is when I am using the progressive mesh under ProEditor using the direct 3d pipeline(T&L). I get this invalid page fault which is a good indication that the ProEdit is over running memory areas it should not be in. Such as an out of bound array or going outside an allocated memory range which would corrupt memory that is reseved for data and program code.

Anyway I mentioned this to Chris in a previous post about this problem and he replied by asking if anbody else was having this problem and that it was working just fine on his Win2k OS. So since nonbody has yet to respond to the post, I am begining to wonder if Win 98SE is getting a bit dated and that I need to upgrade to a new OS. Windows ME is the next upgrade from Win 98, but Window XP home user and business OS will be released by Microsoft in the next 3 to 4 months.

Chris indicated in his post that he was having no problems running Proedit on his Win2k machine. There is probably a different setup of the way that memory is setup on the Win2k OS that not backward compatible to Win98 SE.

Recently I sent Chris an offical bug report through his web page.

Doug

Edited by - sovereign on June 10, 2001 9:57:38 AM

Edited by - sovereign on June 10, 2001 9:58:55 AM

Use File/Exit from the menus instead of clicking the X to close the window. Only the menu exit seems to free the DX interfaces properly.

I''ve put up a new version of winutil.c on the FTP that should fix this problem. It''s in \pr4-beta61\patch.

The other utilities like CHR Edit probably have the same problem since they are based on the PRO Edit code.

Chris