LHC to end the world!

Started by
90 comments, last by Krokhin 15 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Original post by LessBread
Gillies told the AP that the most dangerous thing that could happen would be if a beam at full power were to go out of control, and that would only damage the accelerator itself and burrow into the rock around the tunnel.

I wonder how effective that thing would be as a particle weapon, if the proton beam was deliberately directed at, eg. an aircraft or a satellite... It would probably be absorbed and scattered pretty quickly by the atmosphere, but would surely look very impressive :)
Advertisement
Well they are also going to work with lead nuclei. Those are pretty big...
Quote:Original post by Yann L
Gillies told the AP that the most dangerous thing that could happen would be if a beam at full power were to go out of control, and that would only damage the accelerator itself and burrow into the rock around the tunnel.

I wonder how effective that thing would be as a particle weapon, if the proton beam was deliberately directed at, eg. an aircraft or a satellite... It would probably be absorbed and scattered pretty quickly by the atmosphere, but would surely look very impressive :)

It would be hellishly impressive, but hellishly expensive too!

The Airborne Laser shows more promise as a weapon.

Wired has a bunch of interesting articles on the LHC - best and worst case scenarios and debunks of the destroy the Earth meme.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Why is it that anything I post in the news, makes it to the lounge first?... Perhaps I should start checking the lounge for my news bites each Wednesday.
Quote:Original post by Yann L

Holy crap. There has been a
>massive accident at the LHC.
You mean I can't coerce my girlfriend into having doomsday sex?

Damnit!
------------Anything prior to 9am should be illegal.
Thank God for flash blockers!
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Quote:Original post by Daaark
Holy crap. There has been a
>massive accident at the LHC.[wink] I wonder if you can get a RickRoll detection plugin?

Yesterday paper, joke:
--------------
Son can't fall to a sleep,and ask mother:
-mommy,tell me please,how our universe appeared?
-well,my son,another universe was before...at some
planet clever men lounched LHC...big-bahg occured...
and our universe appeared.Sleep quickly!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement