• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chimaera

C++ Program

This topic is 6252 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was reading an older book on Computer Science that gave programming assignments after each "lesson". One of the first assignments was to write a program which, (a) inputs a binary string with an embedded radix point (e.g.: 101.101) (a floating point variable, right?) that outputs its decimal equivalent (e.g.: 5.625); (b) does the opposite of that effect; or inputs a decimal number and outputs its binary equivalent. Could anyone help me figure out how to implement this in C++? // Chimaera "C:\DOS C:\DOS\RUN \RUN\DOS\RUN"

Advertisement
The easiest way to get started on a problem like this is to remember that the number 101.101 in binary can be represented as:
1*2^2 + 0*2^1 + 1*2^0 + 1*2^-1 + 0*2^-2 + 1*2^-3

You can use this information to break down your conversion into just a bunch of additions. Then you could just loop through the number that is input and add the corresponding value that each bit represents to a running total.

For example, it is probably easiest to start from the decimal point and work left and right. Essentially, you end up going "Is the 2^x position 'on'? If so, add 2^x to our total so far. Now increment x (assuming you are working to the left of the decimal) and repeat". Then, take the total and repeat the process starting from x=-1 and decremementing x until you run out of digits.

I wish I had time to give a better explanation or to help you with converting the other way, but hopefully that will get you started. Good luck!

Edited by - jaxson on June 10, 2001 7:17:08 PM

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!