Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Landsknecht

Sound w/o DX?

What do OpenGl and other API people use for sound systems? I am a DX fan and sound is part of the libraries so this has never come up. However, I am starting to look into OpenGL as well and need to be able to do sound and input and everything else. So, how about some info from the the GL crowd? I realy don't want to have to include seperate functions and code for EVERY sound card in existance - (wax nostalgicaly to DOS days...) Any help is appreciated. Landsknecht Edited by - landsknecht on June 10, 2001 7:13:31 PM

There are also several other quick libraries and engines you can use for sound if you just want a quick and dirty approach. Such as the Bass library (which I have not yet used)... I tend to stick to DirectAudio though myself.

------------------------------
Trent (ShiningKnight)
E-mail me
ShiningKnight Games (I had to make one up, to fit in with the rest of you )
Project: Writing tutorials and code for my OpenGL Game Programming series
OpenGL Game Programming Tutorials

XAudio is what I''m using. It seems to work great (preactically no change in frame rate when playing an MP3 and sound effects at the same time^^) and it works on all platforms. It''s free, but you have to ask them for permission to use it in a commercial game.

-Deku-chan

DK Art (my site, which has little programming-related stuff on it, but you should go anyway^_^)

fmod is also quite good, and very fast:

http://www.fmod.org/

quote:
The blurb from the site

FMOD is the fastest, most powerful and easiest to use sound system on Windows and Linux there is. Supporting 3d sound, midi, mods, mp3, ogg vorbis, wma, recording, geometry processing, cd playback, mmx, internet streaming, dsp effects, user created samples and streams, synchronization support, EAX 1&2, A3D 3.0, C/C++/VB/Delphi/MASM and MORE you cant go wrong!

War Worlds - A 3D Real-Time Strategy game in development.